Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2013
Well I was supposed to be saving this book for a few weeks to read on holiday and I only meant to read the first chapter.. honest.. I just couldnt put it down, the book has 2 stories running side by side,, the authors home life and moving to very rural yorkshire and trying to do the cottage up with his wifes help and try to fit in with village life , and his school life. I howled with laughter on many occassions reading this book, its a treasure !! My OH justs looks at me now as wipe tears of laughter from my face yet again. Who in their right minds would agee to take the class on a holiday trip to a nearby island ?? The characters in his class are introduced in seperate chapters and I couldnt help thinking.. " Yes I had someone like that in my class" I loved it and cant wait to read more by this author.
on 2 June 2017
For those who like Gervaise Phinn, Jack Sheffield and other authors of this genre you'll love this and its sequel. Book is in excellent condition - wouldn't know it wasn't brand new and dust cover perfect too.
on 8 July 2017
I have read all 3 of the school books that have an endearing and very funny and addictiveness to them , I just wish that there was a continuation of these stories as they are a fantastic gem of a read
on 7 July 2017
Nice comfortable read a little like a male Miss Read book!
on 20 July 2017
Arrived yesterday - 19th July 2017. Good condition.
on 12 August 2011
Essentially a nostalgic read, this is perfect summer holiday fare. As a teacher, I had tremendous sympathy for Seed's tales of juggling new government edicts with the demands of the actual classroom, and enjoyed his depictions of parents' evenings, school trips and attempts to modernise the curriculum. He perfectly captures the clash between the old and new, in the rural community and in education more broadly, without being excessively sentimental and without a trace of cynicism. This is not at all a book that is specifically or exclusively for teachers, however, and the child characters will engage any reader, I've no doubt. The adult characters that populate Seed's version of the Dales are also rounded, quirky and entertaining characters who enrich the story immensely. As the blurb indicates, this is by no means only about Seed's classroom experiences, or the learning curve of the probationary teaching year, but deals with the whole deal of moving into a new area.

What I particularly appreciated about the book was its structure and organisation. It is exceptionally well-planned. Each chapter is titled by a child's name and includes an episode starring that child. Our knowledge of the children from Seed's first class therefore grows with each chapter, and he is careful only to include children who have already had 'their' chapter. This feat of planning ensures that although the book by necessity has a large cast of characters, we are never confused.

I enjoyed reading this and will look out for further books, as it is mentioned on Seed's website that this is the first in a series. Review copy kindly provided by Headline.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2016
This is a basically chronological series of anecdotes of Andy Seed's first year as a primary school teacher in the Yorkshire dales. We follow Andy and his wife Barbara as they settle into the way of life in the tiny Yorkshire village that they decide to call their own. Andy tells us stories of the children in his class and we follow Andy and Barbara's home life until the birth of their child, Tom.

This is a light hearted easy read which flowed well. The book was easy to read and didn't require vast amounts of concentration. I didn't find the book hilarious as the cover told me I would. (However this is often the case!) It was far more towards the mildly amusing. It was, however, an enjoyable read.

I found myself skipping over some of the descriptions of the area and countryside as I found them slightly bland. The descriptions of the people were better but not quite developed enough to make this a really good read.

I do feel slightly sorry for the author as I couldn't help but compare this book with the similar works by Gervase Phinn. Andy Seed is very definitely a second place to Gervase Phinn lacking something special in the story telling which Gervase Phinn has in bucketloads.

I shall try the next in the series and see if perhaps the author's writing develops more depth as he settles into the series.
on 12 January 2017
Andy Seed is to teaching what James Herriot was to all things veterinary. Andy brings the Dales to life with his memorable stories about rural school life in the 1980s. I loved this book.
on 26 August 2017
I dont read these, got them for my wife, she says they are brilliant.
on 23 July 2011
My family had tea very late tonight as I couldn't bring myself to put the book down and start cooking.

The author has divided the chapters by student's names and each one tells a delightful story. Personalities and backgrounds at the school intertwine with the narrative of the author and his wife settling in to life in the Dales, which includes everything from letting houses, buying houses, diy, neighbors and having a baby. I loved it- will be a great Christmas gift for several people on my list.

Wonderful read.