Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2011
My family had tea very late tonight as I couldn't bring myself to put the book down and start cooking.

The author has divided the chapters by student's names and each one tells a delightful story. Personalities and backgrounds at the school intertwine with the narrative of the author and his wife settling in to life in the Dales, which includes everything from letting houses, buying houses, diy, neighbors and having a baby. I loved it- will be a great Christmas gift for several people on my list.

Wonderful read.
on 4 February 2013
Well I was supposed to be saving this book for a few weeks to read on holiday and I only meant to read the first chapter.. honest.. I just couldnt put it down, the book has 2 stories running side by side,, the authors home life and moving to very rural yorkshire and trying to do the cottage up with his wifes help and try to fit in with village life , and his school life. I howled with laughter on many occassions reading this book, its a treasure !! My OH justs looks at me now as wipe tears of laughter from my face yet again. Who in their right minds would agee to take the class on a holiday trip to a nearby island ?? The characters in his class are introduced in seperate chapters and I couldnt help thinking.. " Yes I had someone like that in my class" I loved it and cant wait to read more by this author.
on 12 August 2011
Essentially a nostalgic read, this is perfect summer holiday fare. As a teacher, I had tremendous sympathy for Seed's tales of juggling new government edicts with the demands of the actual classroom, and enjoyed his depictions of parents' evenings, school trips and attempts to modernise the curriculum. He perfectly captures the clash between the old and new, in the rural community and in education more broadly, without being excessively sentimental and without a trace of cynicism. This is not at all a book that is specifically or exclusively for teachers, however, and the child characters will engage any reader, I've no doubt. The adult characters that populate Seed's version of the Dales are also rounded, quirky and entertaining characters who enrich the story immensely. As the blurb indicates, this is by no means only about Seed's classroom experiences, or the learning curve of the probationary teaching year, but deals with the whole deal of moving into a new area.

What I particularly appreciated about the book was its structure and organisation. It is exceptionally well-planned. Each chapter is titled by a child's name and includes an episode starring that child. Our knowledge of the children from Seed's first class therefore grows with each chapter, and he is careful only to include children who have already had 'their' chapter. This feat of planning ensures that although the book by necessity has a large cast of characters, we are never confused.

I enjoyed reading this and will look out for further books, as it is mentioned on Seed's website that this is the first in a series. Review copy kindly provided by Headline.
on 21 July 2011
This book was a real pleasure to read. Funny and incredibly touching - it follows the story of a newly married couple who move to a VERY rural community and begin to start a life together. Andy was a primary school teacher in a local school and his recollection of both school and village life is brilliantly done. He has a fantastic writing style. I will be looking forward to more from this author. Absolutely fantastic!
on 11 April 2015
Not too bad but not as witty as I had hoped. I suppose I was expecting a bit a James Herriot type of humour, which always made me laugh. There are a couple of funny bits particularly being a Northerner and knowing what flitting is made me chuckle as it's something you don't hear down South.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2012
Andy Seed began teaching in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1980s ~ just as the dreaded National Curriculum was being introduced. His account of his first year ( his probationary year as they were called back then) is both moving and amusing. Each chapter introduces us to another of the wonderful little characters in his class as well showing us more about his own life as he settled into the Yorkshire Dales.
This book should appeal to readers of Gervaise Phinn and Frank Chalk ... and will evoke memories for a great many teachers all over the country.
on 19 July 2014
Tale of a primary school term in Yorkshire for a young teacher in his first posting. Amusing story about the school activities and a young teacher setting up home in a village in the dales. Having read a number of the Jack Sheffield teacher books I was expecting something along similar lines but this was more serious and less fiction.
on 13 June 2013
Fascinating observations of human-nature both young and older. I couldn't put this book down. No huge tensions or mysteries but if you've ever tried to teach the "tinies" it'll make you laugh!
on 6 February 2013
That's me,not the author, but I still find the tales told by Yorkshiremen completely fascinating reading and this book by Andy Seed is no exception. In my opinion a writer to rival Gervaise Phinn I look forward to reading sequels as they are written.
on 13 June 2012
I bought this as one of a buy one get one for £1 offer and it was a stroke of luck.

Browsing the back cover it would be easy to dismiss this book as just another author jumping on the Jack Sheffield/Gervaise Phinn bandwagon but although it is in a similar vein, it is also different enough to stand on its own merits.

The book relates Andy's first (probationary) year as a newly-qualified teacher in a small rural primary school. He is the teacher of class 3 (9 year-olds) and each chapter is named for one child (although many of the children overlap into others' stories).

Running in tandem is Andy's home life - he is newly-married and buying his first home in a strange area.

The balance between the 2 threads - home and school life - is nicely done, so the book never feels disjointed and keeps a good flow all the way through and displays a good mix of humour and sadness and triumphs and disasters.

Some people might criticise the appearance of a number of stereotypical characters (the friendly giant of a farmer, the battleaxe school dinner lady for instance) but these would be minor niggles to be honest and didn't worry me at all.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable read - and I won't be waiting for the follow-up to appear in the `offers' - I will be buying it as soon as it's released.