Format: Paperback|Change

There is something almost voyeuristic about reading this sort of book as it sometimes feels as though the reader is spying on other people’s lives. But such books can also be useful sources of information. I read them for the insights into human behaviour and for the amusing incidents. Most of the cases described here have a relatively happy ending so the book is very optimistic in many ways.

I chuckled over some stories, winced as I was reading others and shed a few tears over the chapter about injured service people and the Remembrance Day parade. Like the author, I shall never feel quite the same about turkey basters or about gerbils (don’t ask!) If you’re looking for a relatively quick read which will have you marvelling about the ways of human beings and about how GPs cope with the variety of patients they see then read this.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2014
I've been reading a lot of fiction lately so I needed a break. I find fiction can get a little monotonous when reading it over and over. It's nice to change the pace and throw in some non-fiction every now and then. Besides, you just couldn't make this stuff up!!

Dr Leonards works in a busy practice in London. This book contains detailed about some of her more amusing cases. Each chapter is a different story so it's very easy to pick up and put down. I found it to be the perfect bedtime read.

Working as a veterinary nurse I see strange things every other day involving animals of all shapes and sizes so I found I could really relate to Rosemary in her reaction to some of the stories.

Some of the more interesting cases include 3 women who find out that they are all carrying children who have been fathered by the same man and a couple who do some experimenting with a Cadbury's cream egg! I was surprised by how upfront people were about there problems. I admire how they were able to just come straight out with things. In the same position Id be really embarrassed about bringing up personal issues. It just proves that Rosemary is someone who makes her patients feel comfortable.

I really admired the fact that she made the effort to talk to patients outside clinic hours, even taking time from a dinner party to stitch up a kid in her bathroom!

Doctors Notes was a light and refreshing read that I'd recommend to anyone interested in taking a glimpse into the GP's world.
- See more at: [...]
on 22 April 2014
Having seen Dr Rosemary on tv many times and appreciating her comments and advice, I thought the book would be full of many anecdotes. Instead, there were just a few stories detailed at considerable length. They are related in a sort of chatty format which, in my opinion, doesn't work. A lot of the narrative is of the he/she said and I said/thought context. I'm not really interested in the boring, daily chat that goes on, I want to get to the nitty gritty quite quickly.

I think the cases written about would not be unusual to many doctors and there seemed to be nothing particularly unusual about them in the book. The writing is fairly basic and naive and, to me, disappointing.
on 21 April 2014
I disliked this book intensly. The good doctor comes accross on television as clever and witty.
This book manages in the first chapter to shatter that illusion.
I would not advise anyone to read this dreadful tome.
on 4 April 2014
This is a medical list of bizarre experiences and had me giggling from start to finish. I didn't read the first book but this is hilarious, especially when strange objects get stuck in some strange places! I saw Rosemary on TV saying it's all true, so I suppose we just have to believe her. I didn't realise that there would be so many laughs in a doctor's surgery. The best one for me was the woman with all the metal objects in so many places, with Rosemary's own equipment getting stuck! You'll just have to read it to satisfy your curiosity. LOL !!
on 8 November 2014
I really enjoyed "Doctors notes" the individual stories about ordinary folk, I can't get enough of that sort of thing, and Rosemary Leonard has shown herself to be a natural storyteller. Bring on the next one.
on 3 April 2014
I'm sure the person that bought me this recently enjoyed Dr. Rosemary on tv, but this read like many co ghost written books.
It is aimed at the young and would be funny if I hadn't come across most of these scenarios before. Not as good as it shouldn't happen to a vet
on 12 May 2014
If you ever want to be reminded what a great job our GPs do - then read this book. I would like to say I was shocked at the level of stupidity of some patients - but I wasn't - however, I was completely blown away by Dr Rosemary's kindness and compassion. The 'disappearing penis' was a complete surprise and since I have retold the tale to several overweight men - their gym membership has been put to better use! Very easy to read and great fun. Dr Rosemary really does epitomise what a good local doctor should be like.
on 18 August 2015
Rosemary Leonard writes easily, as if chatting over a glass of wine. It's pleasant reading, often hilarious. Also a revelation.
on 4 August 2015
A enjoyable read ,plenty of laughs and advice given by the doctor .would appeal to readers who love hospital life .