VINE VOICEon 29 June 2017
Written by a real expert (his biog at the back of the book) and a history and description of 101 whiskies (includes blended).
In alphabetical order, this is not 101 best whiskies but 101 whiskies being suggested as worthy of being brought to your attention. I've been trying different brands since being reborn 2 years ago as a whisky drinker after 40 years of abstinence, and hardly any of the bottles I've tried have made it into this list! My experience has been variable - finding some that are favourites and some I will give a miss to.
Each whisky is described by its nose and its taste - from what I can tell, Ian is avoiding the heavily peat-smokey ones (which I find too overpowering) so I may be using this each time I consider a new purchase. Anyway, you don't have to take this seriously - it's a treasure read for the aficionado and will make an ideal stocking filler if you know someone like that. I paid £4 for my copy and it's a bargain.
on 31 December 2015
just the right book to buy for yourself or as a present for a true whisky drinker! My wife Kt bought this for me (with a lil nudgin & a this would be a nice prezzie for xmas comment) This gives a clear & easily read description & explanation of the taste you should expect from the different whiskies, whether you can taste what you've read about a whisky is a different matter! All i know is, its going to be a good book to pick up & have a little flick thro when you're bottle at home is getting a bit low & your birthday, fathers/mothers day, xmas, new years day or any other day you can think of that deserves a present or just because you or the person you're buying for is worth it! (just hope the one you pick to try is to your taste when you get it :-)) Happy flickin, pickin and sippin! and hopefully not have to be buyin! Thanks Kt, love you lots! i'll just make sure the expensive ones i want to try are the ones you can tell our beloved son he can buy me lol!
on 5 November 2014
A good starting point for anyone interested in getting to know /getting around the world of whisky..... by the time you are even 1/3 of the way in you should have found at least the vocabulary to know why you agree -or disagree -with the suggestions given- but such is research, one won't like Everything.....!or rather there will be some a lot lees to anyone's taste tan others -n[but at least you'll knoiw why!
on 14 February 2018
My boyfriend loved it and has already started ticking off what he has tried. Would be a 5 star review if the book had a pull out page with all the whiskeys on for you to tick off. Super speedy delivery. Thanks
on 14 January 2018
Bought this for a gift for someone who is just getting into whisky. I have the previous version and there had been a few changes in the last few years. Good price for a comprehensive book.
on 30 September 2016
A wonderful book full of information and humour. Ian certainly knows what he is talking about!
on 7 November 2017
Like the book but difficult to find many of the particular whiskies it mentions in my part of the world. Still like the information it provides and gradually getting through the suggestions.
on 16 December 2017
The book is a xmas gift.... looks good pocket size a page on each whisky - just what a whisky fan wants...
on 28 December 2017
Bought as a gift for the whiskey enthusiast. Very pleased and now making a list of whiskeys for future presents
on 14 August 2014
This is a great book, regardless of whether you are a whisky novice or a experienced taster. I have found this (and his 101 World Whiskies to Try Before You Die) to really broaden my whisky scope. The whiskies he include are affordable and relatively easy to track down as well as attempting to open up all corners of the whisky market. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and filling it in with my own verdicts- discovering many gems that would have otherwise passed me by. It is no accident that everyone of my friends also own and are working there way through this truly inspired book.