on 26 October 2010
I have always liked Jo Brand,s sense of humour,and I thought her autobiography would be amusing,and I was not disappointed.Volume 1 covers her loife from birth to her starting to come onto the radar as far as stand up comedy was concerned. I felt that this was a honest book, and the sense of humour that you hear in her routines came across in her writing. She writes at times quite disparagingly about herself,and her honesty was very refreshing. She mentioned people that are now household names in a passing sort of manner,without stating that they were her best friends or that they have remained confidants throughout her life.
I enjoyed this book,and gave me an insight into why people take on,for me, must be the most nerve wracking and frightening occupation. A very good read.
on 21 November 2010
This is a fun, light-hearted and honest book. I raced through it and found it very easy to read and enjoyed it. Jo Brand is a decent author and this book reads very much like a diary. At times it's a bit too much "and then this happened" as if it were a list, but overall she skips through her childhood and adolescence telling it how it is honestly and with a wry smile on her face. It doesn't live up to the "hilarious" label, but at times it does make you laugh. It's just a shame it stops when she arrives on our TV screens. I'd have liked to know more about her career once successful.... who did she marry? How does she feel about being a mother? I find her intriguing and disarming and grew to like her much more by reading the book.
on 10 April 2018
Did not enjoy this book at all. I felt very sorry for her parents after reading about the endless drunken sessions which seems to be the answer to all the self-inflicted failures. She appears to be anti-establishment at all levels. I won’t bother to read any more of her books or even watch her crude and less than witty TV appearances.
on 31 December 2014
Disappointed with this book I luv Jo but was slightly annoyed that she could use incidences about her time as a psychiatric nurse as humour. I have family experience of neurological illness and know that sometimes you have to laugh or you'll cry but I wouldn't use it to make others laugh at a persons expense.
on 11 December 2014
Jo is not just a stand up comedian/tv quiz show regular. Her past lives include being a rebellious teenager to the max and psychiatric nurse. Really enjoyed her autobiography found it well written and one of those you can hear the author's voice - parts were very funny as you would expect but it is also gritty and sometimes downright sad. Recommended.
on 31 July 2017
Sorry to say that I found the book less enjoyable than listening to Jo Brand live on television.
on 23 December 2017
and shows a side to her personality not always obvious in her humour. I look forward to reading more of her books.
on 12 April 2017
A very interesting book about a very funny - and mischievious - lady indeed. All in all a very good read.
on 17 March 2014
I dont usually listen to Jo as a standup comic as I dont normally like her sense of humour but this book is so funny.
She had quite a colourful life as a teenager and it is well described in this book along with all her tales of what she got up to.
Once I'd started it I couldnt put it down.
on 23 July 2016
A good read, creative and down to earth story.
From childhood to adult life, to Nurse to Comedian.
Worth a read.