on 9 May 2017
I couldn't get into this book at all, I'm afraid. I found it desperately slow moving, especially at the start which is supposed to be the very part enticing me to read on. Tiny details about the lives of characters I haven't had a chance to get to know yet don't work for me. And when I did get to know them, I found them pretty unappealing. The lead character goes on about how dull she is. I agree. She is. Her husband keeps getting into compromising situations which made me cringe rather than laugh, especially as the same theme repeated over, and over, and over. As for the other family members, 'obnoxious' is the word that springs to mind. I admit I didn't finish the book, giving up after the husband's third 'hilarious' (not) scrape, so perhaps I have no right to write a review. However, my free time is precious, and I'm sure plenty of other people regard their free time in the same way, so my advice would be to give this one a miss.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 September 2009
What can I say? I have to be totally honest and say that whilst reading this book I embarrassed myself on numerous occasions by actually laughing out loud whilst on the train. This book was an absolute joy to read. I am a huge fan of the series the Chocolate Lovers and found that I was comparing each book to that series. This book needed no comparison.

Juliet Joyce is a typical married mother of two. Her husband Rick along with their two children in their late teens Tom and Chloe, live in a regular close leading a very ordinary life. Juliet's mother has recently moved in after deciding that upon reaching her 70s she was going to start living her life the way she wanted. Juliet works in the local library and the most excitement her life sees is what lies in store for her when she gets home with regards to what new and inventive ways her children have come up with top avoid cleaning their rooms, or god forbid, getting a job!

However, when her ex fiancé who jilted her at the alter, Steven Aubrey turns up, her life is thrown into the mixer. This along with the predicaments her husband manages to get himself into along with the behaviour of her kids, her party animal mother, and her father who has changed his life dramatically make for an absolutely explosive and hilarious story. Her marriage starts to teeter when Steven comes on the scene and she has to decide whether she wants to make a new life for herself or stick with what she already has.

This story was told with such humour that I was hooked from the first chapter. The characters are the most honest version of mixed up families I have read in a while and some of the one-liners that were told had tears running down my cheeks. I finished this book in a day and a half and haven't laughed that much at a book in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyed every page and would highly recommend to anybody. The Chocolate Lovers series although still a firm favourite, doesn't seem quite as important after reading this latest Carole Matthews books. A definite must have.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 December 2016
This is an ordinary family that just happens to take on an extraordinary set of circumstance. At points during the book I was actually laughing out loud, and attracting a few odd looks around the pool! I loved how not only is this a story featuring a librarian, but that she while working in the library was regularly giving readers her favourite authors in a whole variety of genres, so you had potential future book recommendations for once this story was finished. This book is vintage Carole Matthews, and I just believe it had been lingering on my kindle for so long.
on 4 December 2012
I haven't read any of Carole's books before but I saw a review which likened her to my beloved Marian Keyes so I thought it give it a whirl.

It's definitely not on the scale of Marian's witty writing, but there were some extremely funny laugh out loud moments, and on the whole I liked the book and the characters. It is easy reading and one which I did in a couple of days.

I am just about to start reading the sequel, With Love At Christmas, to get me in the festive spirit and hope its as good as this one.

I'm not normally a fan of chick lit but I needed a break from mystery and thrillers, my very favourite genre, as I am becoming a super sleuth at figuring out who the perps are, and indeed I could apply as a CSI at the rate I've been going!

Nice, easy reading if you need a little light relief.
on 16 May 2015
I've read and enjoyed a couple of Carole Matthews books and find it hard to believe this is the same author. This book is absolutely puerile and I've had enough after 70%. The storylines are ridiculous, the characters, the architects of their own multiple downfalls to the point of abject stupidity. And as for Juliet - I am heartily sick of her pathetic behaviour and determination to be a downtrodden doormat at every opportunity. What a complete waste of money. I am genuinely astonished at the number of readers who have given this tripe four or five stars!
on 22 November 2012
I loved this book. Right from the very start I could not put this book down. All the way through it I was laughing.

Juliet and Rick Joyce have been married for 25 years. They have two children Tom and Chloe - who still leave at home - they are both very spoilt. Juilet's parents have spilt up and they have her mum living with them. Her mum still thinks she is young - wanting boob job's and having another baby. Her father decides he is gay. As you get further through the book Juliet and Rick's relationship gets rockier and rockier.

Really good book - highly recommend it.
on 15 March 2015
This is one of the best books I've read in ages. It made me laugh out loud so many times. So true to life & the problems that come with it. A bit far fetched in places but that just added to the humour. Wasn't too sure how it was going to pan out which kept it interesting. So nice to read books about an area you know as you can relate so well to some of the scenes. Well done Carole Matthews another great book.
on 29 May 2010
This is one of the funniest books that I've read in a very long time, I was gripped from the start, couldn't put it down & it was well into the wee small hours at times when I eventually did, I was sorry when i came to the end as it was such a good book, I highly recommend this, by far the best & funniest I have read in a long time, definately a tonic, it should come with a warning saying "Do not read in public", I embarrassed myself on numerous occassions by laughing out loud on the train & got some really strange looks, well done Carole Matthews.
on 11 April 2015
Felt like a bit of a chore reading this book and I was pleased when it ended. I didn't read the bonus chapters for the follow on short story. Couldn't relate to, or empathise with the characters which is unusual for a Carole Matthews book. Think it was mainly due to the grown up kids being complete brats.
on 12 May 2013
Carole matthews never fails to deliver a good storyline, couldn't put the book down. A family of various ages under the same roof, 2 teenagers, mum, dad and elderly parent. The traumas going on through each of their lives and how it affects certsin members within that family. A lovely read, yet again welcome done Carole.