on 14 November 2012
Review of the series (followed by a review of this book):
This series of books is based around the adventures of two men - Macro and Cato. Macro is a soldier through and through; he has spent his life in the army and is a centurion when we first meet him in the first book. In that book we also meet Cato who joins the legion as a new recruit, although he seems an unlikely candidate for a soldier. The series goes on to relate their many adventures and the relationship between them. Most of the stories are based - sometimes loosely - on real events and people, with a healthy dose of artistic license.
As far as I can tell the historical detail and facts are accurate, and the writing is generally engaging. There are criticisms in other reviews about the authors use of 'modern' slang; I know what they mean, but would we identify with 'roman' slang? For me, it is not a problem, I am not a fan of trying to invent historical language, it is too easy to fall into the 'ye olde shoppe' trap!
Overall, the series is very readable, and rolls along at a good pace. Like some other historical series, it doesn't do to try and fit the events into a timeline, as it soon becomes clear that the two men could not have done everything they do in one lifetime, but that doesn't detract from a fun series. Two niggles:the formatting annoys me in that the gaps between paragraphs are too long, particularly where there are long conversations, and they are a little over-priced.
Review of this book:
Macro and Cato find themselves on Crete after a huge earthquake and tidal wave. Law and order on the island have fallen apart, and they find themselves having to help re-establish order, and deal with a slave rebellion led by someone who they have encountered before. All in all, another good read; the story moves along well, and keeps you entertained. The romance which started in the last book continues here, but in a rather half-hearted way. I have a suspicion that this thread may have been suggested to the author rather then being his own invention. We shall see if it continues into future books.
on 14 April 2015
I'm afraid this will be my last Cato and Macro book.
They were what got me into the Roman period for historical fiction, but, for me, have not moved forward. Each one is basically the same story in a different setting. The main characters still have the same annoying weaknesses they had in the first book, having not, apparently, learnt anything along the way. The other characters come and go, but don't seem to develop.
For me, there are other 'Roman' novels and series which now hold more appeal.
on 23 April 2017
Nothing new in this. Just another rattling good yarn featuring Cato and Macro. If you have enjoyed the previous books you will enjoy this.
on 20 May 2017
The book is part of a series Cato & macro are the main characters Simon scarrow is a brilliant writer I haven't read a bad book yet.
on 9 June 2017
Yet again Simon conjure a wonderful tale for Cato and Macro to endure.., love it... can't wait for Number 10
on 17 April 2017
Love Scarrow books!
on 5 June 2017
good
on 22 August 2013
the whole series shines. The characters are wonderful, the plots and counter-plots ingenious. I can recommend this series to anyone who loves a good story and especially to those of us who love a well researched historical period.
on 29 March 2017
great book
on 13 May 2017
This book is one of the best in the series and has rekindled my thirst for more! Great story indeed