The Perfect Lie
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 September 2010
Lucy has a dark past that she cannot let those close to her know about. She has spent twenty years on the run and has finally found normality when one day, she is thrust into the public spotlight and she has to leave behind the life she has created and the people she loves. She flees to Europe but eventually her past catches up with her and Lucy has to face up to it once and for all.

I won't spoil it (although it will be obvious when you start reading) but the story is told from the perspective of Lucy, a 15 year old named Marianne and Eliza, Lucy's almost sister in law. In having three narrators, the reader is able to keep up with the life Lucy has left behind and another secret is revealed.

If you have read any of Emily Barr's other books, you will know to expect the darkness of plot and character that we see in Lucy. If you are new to Barr's books, then be prepared. Her characters are not the light hearted cocktail sipping socialites of the majority of chick lit. They all bear a secret, a past that is damaging and haunting and will keep you thinking about them for days after you've finished the book.

This book will have you engrossed from page one. Emily Barr manages to detail harrowing and hateful experiences in her pages which leaves the reader feeling disturbed during those scenes but then continues without being too heavy going. Having read this, I can't wait for her next book and also quite fancy a trip to Venice!
on 16 July 2013
This is one of the best novels I've read! 'The Perfect Lie' is the second novel I've read by Emily Barr. I enjoyed 'Stranded', but this one I thought was even better! It's very well written, as was 'Stranded', and is very gripping right from start to finish.
I also like the way the author portrays a very good image of Venice. Unlike many authors, this author is able to describe a setting without the use of overly descriptive, tedious writing and over-the-top metaphors and flowery poetry, which are used by so many authors to ruin their novels. Emily Barr has the knack of portraying settings really vividly and well and makes you feel you are there, and never strays from the exciting plot and story line. A great escapist read!
on 18 April 2014
The Perfect Lie was full of twists and turns and kept my interest to the end. There was one part that stretched my imagination a bit but it's no different to strange things you hear in the news from time to time. I liked the way the lie was gradually revealed and one secret very near the end I didn't see coming at all.

Very enjoyable, touches on some darker issues but not it a way that I found it too uncomfortable to read.
on 8 October 2017
another great book from Emily Barr, good quality, arrived in time no issues
on 10 May 2017
Loved this book. It was compelling, I had to know more of mariannes's story. I couldn't put it down. I was late to work for a week!
on 16 November 2013
This book was OK, but...and it's a big 'but' I found the story line about the mother simply ridiculous, and then it just got worse from there. There were far too many co-incidences and stupid plots lines that quite frankly were laughable, and the ending...well, I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who is about to read it, but I'm sorry....it was utterly stupid.
on 26 March 2014
Engaging and with believable backgrounds, this woman in peril novel makes an interesting read. To say it's an easy to read book is in no way a criticism and I will probably look for more by this author.
on 27 March 2018
a great read
on 28 February 2017
Great story
on 16 July 2013
fantastic book,really enjoyable and lots of twists and turns. Def recommend and a real page turner. If you looking for a good read you won't be disappointed