on 14 November 2012
Review of the series (followed by a review of this book):
This series of books is based around the adventures of two men - Macro and Cato. Macro is a soldier through and through; he has spent his life in the army and is a centurion when we first meet him in the first book. In that book we also meet Cato who joins the legion as a new recruit, although he seems an unlikely candidate for a soldier. The series goes on to relate their many adventures and the relationship between them. Most of the stories are based - sometimes loosely - on real events and people, with a healthy dose of artistic license.
As far as I can tell the historical detail and facts are accurate, and the writing is generally engaging. There are criticisms in other reviews about the authors use of 'modern' slang; I know what they mean, but would we identify with 'roman' slang? For me, it is not a problem, I am not a fan of trying to invent historical language, it is too easy to fall into the 'ye olde shoppe' trap!
Overall, the series is very readable, and rolls along at a good pace. Like some other historical series, it doesn't do to try and fit the events into a timeline, as it soon becomes clear that the two men could not have done everything they do in one lifetime, but that doesn't detract from a fun series. Two niggles:the formatting annoys me in that the gaps between paragraphs are too long, particularly where there are long conversations, and they are a little over-priced.
Review of this book:
The saga continues! Macro and Cato find themselves involved in a fight which goes seriously wrong, thanks to a senior centurion who loses his nerve. As a result, their legion undergoes the punishment of decimation. The story is well written, as we now expect from the author, and is a real page turner. I do not want to put any spoilers in here, but I am doubtful as to whether the outcome of the story could ever have actually happened, but that is fiction for you!
on 19 May 2017
Again this book explores Cato's relationship and understanding of what it means to be a Roman Centurion. That you are simply "Sword Fodder" and at the whim of those with political motives and a need to be seen as being successful. Cato is often appalled at the way the Romans treat the indigenous population. Well written as always.
on 9 March 2017
Macro and Cato find themselves on the wrong side of General and Legate, the narrative has excellent beginnings but becomes more and more unbelievable as it progresses, whilst historical facts are forgotten sadly not for the betterment of the story. First of Simons books to leave me disappointed.
on 26 April 2017
Teenage son now addicted to this series, so I guess we are in for the long haul.
on 20 June 2017
Present for someone else. last one he was missing from sequence, so very pleased.
on 25 July 2017
great book
on 7 June 2017
fine work
on 26 August 2017
I'm so hooked it's sad! This is a fantastic series, you'll be sucked in and as soon as it's finished, I'm downloaded the next book.