Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 September 2012
Ann Granger has continued the story of Lizzie and Ben Ross in this new Victorian era mystery. It is well written and keeps the reader interested throughout. Lizzie is, as usual, involved against the wishes of Ben and his superiours at Scotland Yard, in the murders of two diverse characters - The down-at-heel gentleman, Thomas Tapley and the seedy private detective, Horatio Jenkins. It is good to read about sleuths who don't have mobiles, fingerprint kits and CSI departments at their fingertips - just good old-fashioned clues and commonsense. As always there are several twists and turns and the obvious and not so obvious suspects. I particularly like the way Ms Granger lets the women be "real" not the stereo-typical Victorian heroines. A worthy sequel to the first three "Lizzie and Ben" novels - I hope there are more to come.
on 4 August 2013
A good Ben Ross. I. enjoyed this book because it had plenty of clues and red herrings, a nice easy read. I never feel disappointed with Ben and his wife , they send you in so many different directions. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good holiday mystery read.
on 15 December 2013
An enjoyable detective romp set in Victorian times. A man about whom little is known is found bludgeoned to death in his lodgings. Gradually the secrets of his life emerge. This is the fourth of a series of novels with Ben Ross as the lead detective and his wife Lizzie playing a major role in the investigation. I have not read any of the others, but it reads well as a stand-alone novel. There is lots of good period detail.
on 5 May 2014
The latest in an ongoing historical mystery series. Continuing cast of characters you can enjoy spending time with along with a good mystery. Well depicted time and place. Salted with a light touch of humor. Can be read on its own but being only the fourth book in the series I recommend starting at the first and work your way forward.
on 9 September 2013
I enjoy these historical novels by Ann Granger which, I think, are as good as the Mitchell and Markby novels which I read first, but quite different. She evokes Victorian London well, but shows at the same time that people do not change. Keeps you interested from start to finish
on 2 August 2013
I have been reading Ann Granger for some years but this is only the second Ben Ross book I've read. I quite enjoyed it but wouldn't rate it the best I've read by this author.
on 19 October 2013
Delivery came before expected and the book was in very good condition. I really like this author and have all three of her various series of different detective fiction.
on 28 May 2013
Very easy reading - likeable main characters and nothing too gruesome in the murder details. I sped through it and enjoyed it all.
on 10 July 2013
More intrigue and of course, murder. Lizzie Ross makes a great partner to Ben and she is usually spot on with her verdicts!
on 26 November 2014
Enjoyed this book. I like the uncomplicated mystery stories in particular the British ones.