on 19 April 2014
i enjoyed reading this story, but felt their may have been something missing at the end. I'm not sure, i watched the film first (Maybe a bad idea) and really enjoyed it, then decided to read the book to see how they compared.
im not really sure which i prefer. an enjoyable read none-the-less and recommended for fans of the movie. (Although the two aren't similar in the slightest.)
on 2 January 2010
Elinor Lipman is a quiet genius - writing about ordinary people, having ordinary lives, and finding love in ordinary places. BUT, her intelligent and well-written novels are wrought with real compassion for the tangles people find themselves in, and are usually extremely wry and funny. This twisty tale of adoption, a strange-and-colourful birth mother, and accidentally stumbling into love in the school library - is a joy to read from beginning to end. If you aren't totally entranced by April's crazy mum (and wholly in love with Dwight and/or April) by the end of the book, you have no heart or humanity. Read it - and feel a bit closer to the human race by the end.
on 16 October 1998
I finished Isabel's bed and ran out to get another Lipman book. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I found this book to be a wonderful ride full of pathos & humor. The characters (in both books) are truly believable and quirky, the kind of people you would come to know and love. The story is so entertaining yet, touches deep truths with sensitivity, humor, astuteness and compassion. Elinor Lipman is brilliant as a writer and I think it is a mistake to think of her as a light comedy writer even though she is hysterical. I'd love to meet Ms. Lipman, she's wonderful at dialogue and I think we would laugh a lot.
on 14 July 2011
This book is funny and sad, telling the story of a 30 something teacher, tracked down by her birth mother who abandoned her when she was a baby. It tells of the developing difficult relationship between two strong women, and also of the heart warming and tender romance that the daughter finds when she is least expecting it.
on 11 April 1999
This is great, can't put it down, light fiction. Kind of an improbable plot, but you can't help but be happy for the characters.
on 25 June 1999
I was skeptical about this book as I am not a fan of humorous novels, but this book was a shining exception. Several parts made me laugh out loud, but other parts were so touching and dramatic. I couldn't put this book down!
on 5 June 1998
When you are looking for the perfect beach book, this is THE one to pick. Lipman's style is light, funny, touching. The plot is clever and the romance is one of the few written about why that nerdy couple looks so darn happy.
on 7 March 1998
Ms. Lipman is one of very few authors of contemporary light fiction that I can stomach. I have read all of her books and I look forward to the next. I always relate with her independant, somewhat cynical heroines, her dialogue is fascinating, and her stories move quickly and without disappontments-Lipman knows her readers and makes no attempt to fool us-all plot twists really ARE unexpected and welcomed, and she is a credit to the genre.
on 2 February 1996
This is a wonderfully entertaining story. I have passed my copy around so many times it's time to buy a new one.