Marrying Up
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2013
I have read and enjoyed Wendy Holden's fluffy chicklit before and was not under any illusions that this would be great literature. I did enjoy the story which made it all the more irritating when I came across the frequent clunking phrases that you had to read twice to realise that Holden was using a word incorrectly and work our what she actually meant. There were also the research inaccuracies - the gender of the German word Schloss is neuter, but not in this book. Finally the number of stretches of the imagination we are.expected to make - Alexa has no money yet still manages to buy champagne, shoes, dresses and plane tickets we keep being told she can't afford them and yet she does. We also have to believe not only that there is a kingdom just along from Monaco that we've never heard of but that its inhabitants helpfully speak English... Buy this book if you want to read a totally unbelievable but quite readable story but be prepared for it to annoy you!
on 10 September 2015
Always great to read Wendy Holden books I have several of her books and this is just as good a read...would certainly advise anyone who loves a good romance with comedy to read these books by Wendy.....what I like about her books and this book is its true to life and not outside the bounds of normality. Good read and also has some moments to make you smile....funny and true to life.
on 9 January 2013
I have every one of Wendy Holden's previous books and received Marrying Up this Christmas. The first two chapters were average, but sometimes it takes a while to get into the story, so I persevered. Unfortunately, the story did not improve, in fact it went rapidly downhill with stupid names like Florence Trevorigus-Whyske-Cleethorpe, Stonker, Mrs Butts Upward, Ratty and Moley Huddersfield. I had to double check that it was actually written by Wendy Holden (I'm still not totally convinced she has written it"). I have been an avid reader since the age of about 15 and am almost 55, and I can count on one hand the number of books I have not finished, somehow I feel that Marrying Up will be one of those books. Perhaps she should have called this one "Giving Up".
on 22 June 2013
I enjoyed all Wendy Holdens other books , got used to the outrageous antics of Champagne Devine et al but this book struggled to hold my attention .
Holden has flogged this particular horse to death - time to find a new oeuvre before it becomes too cliched to sell.
on 29 June 2014
as might be expected from Wendy Holden this is a load of frothy easy to read nonsense but it is none the worse for that as, within its genre, it is fairly funny and well-written
on 17 January 2014
I used to LOVE Wendy Holden - from the moment I read Champagne Divine I was hooked!
Unfortunately, the books have slowly become more centered around getting married, having children and the life that goes with that.
I loved the books because they were about the tribulations of single average Janes so this is disappointing.., I'm not even sure I'm going to get the latest book tbh. Shame.
on 6 December 2016
very funny, as always
on 30 November 2012
Bought this because previous books by this author were good. This book is utter rubbish and not worth the money. Author has clearly run out of ideas.
on 18 October 2016
Witty & fast paced. Light entertaining read. One of my favourite author's. Great book to curl up with on a winters night with a hot chocolate
on 22 April 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was very funny. I enjoyed following the exploits of the larger than life characters.