Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

An Absolute Scandal
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 October 2014
A very well and thoroughly researched background about the Lloyds insurance market and the workings of the Names makes for a novel that is very readable. Much is typically Vincenzi, with "pauses" to detail the sexual experiences of the characters. I sometimes get the impression that Vincenzi is up against a quota system; why I know not. But like so many of her novels it ends abruptly. Perhaps she gets bored or has a publishing deadline or the printers can't bind more than a pre-specified number of pages. But abrupt endings tend to deprive the reader of that feel good ending.
Very readable and very much in her standard style.
on 7 May 2009
This story is centered around a genuine financial crisis in the 80's, and how this drew people together, creating unity, lifelong friendships, and love triangles.

The good thing about Penny Vincenzi is that she has a great talent for engaging the reader. She carefully builds the story of the characters and I found myself compelled to read on. I do feel that the story was predictable in many places, and I was not impressed with Penny's use of stereotypical impressions (I have found these things in her other books). I believe that these stereotypes she presents is due to her lack of understanding of real people living in the real world - the very characters that she is trying to portray. I think that these things made the book a little disappointing. However, I would recommend this book based on the way that Vincenzi draws the reader into the lives of the characters, developing a sense of empathy and feeling for them.
on 24 July 2016
What a perfect mix of delightful contrasting characters each with their own dramas plus the concerns and intrigue of the Lloyds debacle set to bring each of them tumbling down. The book title is perfect too as scandal upon scandal unfolds from this supremely talented author. Perfect film material too. I was hooked with this perfect story.
on 7 September 2010
I had this story on CD, which I can listen to whilst doing some pretty mundane household chores, it this easiest way to get through a pile of ironing listening to a well written and researched book. You feel for the characters as their lives are turned upside down with antics performed by LLoyds of London during the 1980's. With so many lives interwoven through this story, you see quite a few different lifestyles and how they coped with all the financial crisis's of the day.
on 13 September 2017
At first I thought I wouldn't remember so many characters, but the more I read, the more I got to know and love them. A lovely book, my first Penny Vincent, but not my last.
on 19 August 2016
Wife believes her to be the best author on the market,can't say more she is still reading.
on 12 August 2017
Good read
on 8 January 2018
All books arrived as promised and in very good condition
on 25 April 2014
Had missed this one - thought I had read all Penny Vincenzi books - this one interesting and informative - jolly good read.
on 6 February 2014
Penny Vincenzi just never lets me down. Her building of her characters and the sheer excellence of her writing are a delight.