Customer reviews

Simply Irresistible
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2012
I'm a big fan of Rachel Gibson's books. This particular book is the first in the Chinooks hockey team series so obviously I haven't read them in order (highly unusual for me), I don't think this matters though because they work so well as stand-alone books.

When I first read the blurb I thought it sounded similar to another of her books that I have read, it turned out that I was right because there definitely were quite a few similarities, however this didn't affect my enjoyment of this book in any way.

Georgeanne was an interesting character - I felt sad when reading about her school troubles and I loved her southern charm. I loved how much she talked and I could almost picture her babbling on in front of this masculine hockey player who really wasn't much of a listener. The connection between her and John was electric, they were complete opposites and I think that is what made them so interesting together.

My first impression of John was that he was arrogant and rude but there were hints at some kind of traumatic past which, when revealed, made me look at his behaviour in a new light. The sexual scenes between John and Georgeanne were quite full on but I felt that it was appropriate and didn't detract from the story.

Lexie was a brilliant character and reminded me so much of my own daughter, she was extremely cute and I loved how she wrapped her father around her little finger. The pet shop incident was one of my favourite Lexie moments, it really got me giggling.

It may have been quite obvious where the storyline was heading but I enjoyed the journey nonetheless, there were times of sadness, laughter and sometimes anger, there were even a few `awwwww' moments particularly towards the end - I wasn't expecting such a romantic finish!

This was a fantastic read, another hit from Rachel Gibson.
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2007
Again another brilliant Rachel Gibson book - I wish I had known this was her very first book because I would have waited before reading the other hockey one See Jane Score. But you don't have to read them in order because they are totally different characters and equally as good storylines.

If you enjoy Rachel Gibson's books then definately read this - the love story was perfect for the storyline and the characters were very likeable, definately give this a go.
on 6 June 2007
I almost bought this thinking wahey, a new Rachel Gibson!! But no, be warned this a reprint of a 1998 book, which if you have been a Rachel Gibson fan for a while you will probably already own or have read it.

Don't get me wrong, the book was really good, but I really hate it when they reprint them, give them new covers and don't tell you that's what they're doing!!

If you haven't read this in it's previous incarnation, buy it cos Rachel Gibson is always a laugh! Otherwise steer clear!
on 28 January 2006
I love Rachel Gibson, she lets you into the lives of people and you feel as if your one of them, or even a very close friend. The characters in this book feel so real. John is a Hockey Jock, Georgie is a Texan who is trying to do the best so can and last is their daughter Lexie who talks with no stopping. Georgie has one hot night of passion with John, Lexie is the result but Georgie think it best to keep her secret. But like all secrets they always come back to bit you in the butt. After coping for 7 years been a partner in a successful business John suddenly appears out of nowhere. Then the fireworks start. As usual Rachel has plenty of steamy sceens. One to read!!!
on 14 September 2013
I didn't like any of the characters. I found the way Georgie spoke irritating, Lexie was annoying rather than cute and I just didn't get the attraction between Georgie and John. It was like one minute they were full of lust, the next minute they hated each other and low and behold they are apparently in love by the end with no clue how they got to that stage.

I really wouldn't recommend you wasting your time by trying this book out. So many better books in this genre.
on 15 September 2013
I broke my promise to never read a book like this but really enjoyed it, I usually read crime/thrillers so a complete change for me, wasn't gushy, just a really good story and i fell in love with the characters, glad i read it.
on 18 July 2012
I have never read a Rachel Gibson book before but I gave this a go due to the reviews, and I was sooooo glad I did, it was really good, I loved that the two main characters have flaws and are not all perfect and super duper romantic 24/7 this had a real story, a heap of romance and a hea perfect!

Georgeanne Howard leaves her hubby to be at the altar when she realizes she can't marry a man old enough to be her grandad, even if he is rich, after trying to tell him she was having 2nd thoughts the night before the wedding, he ignors her so she runs the morning of the wedding, straight into Hockey superstar John Kowalsky's car ( Georgeanne's fiance owns the team) unknowingly John helps her to escape,thinking at first she is a bridesmaid not the bride due to her short pink dress! it's too late when he does realize that he's left the wedding with his boss's bride. John decides to take her to his house so she can arrange to get back home, but Georgeanne has other ideas and after a lot of flirting and a bit of plotting on Georgeanne's part they end up in bed.......

The book carries on Seven years later, when Georgeanne and John meet again at a fundraiser Georgeanne is catering for. John decides to find Georgeanne and turns up at her house the next day and is shocked to learn that he now has a 6 year old daughter, after he gets over the shock and the anger of not knowing he had a child, John's determined to be part of her life.
Georgeanne has loved John since the moment she jumped into his car, but after the night they spent together and the way he left things seven years ago she is scared to get involved with him again and scared he will try to take her daughter (who is such a great little character), The leads are great they both have pasts and both are far from perfect when they first meet, but both also have reasons for their behaviour thoughout their lives, I loved the side romance too with Johns teamate and Georgeanne's best friend and partner Mae, this was a cracker of a first book in a series and I went on to get book 2 and 3 based on reading this, any Lori Foster fans and Kate Angell fans will love this series if like me you havent tried it before!
on 5 June 2007
I really enjoy Rachels books as the storys are easy to read and the characters are always likeable. This has to be one of my favourites to date along with see jane score and daisys back in town. The story is a really lovely one and has the feel good factor in bucket loads. I cannot wait for the next book.
on 31 January 1998
"Simply Irresistable" by Rachel Gibson, is, quite simply, irresistable. Reminiscent of Susan Elizabeth Phillips' "It Had To Be You", this book is filled with warmth, humor, and marvelous characters. Southern-belle extraordinaire Georgeanne Howard has just left her extremely wealthy and much, much older fiance' at the altar. Skilled at charm and flirtation, but not much else, Georgeanne hitches a ride with John "The Wall" Kowalsky, an up-and-coming hockey player. John recognizes a high-maintenance woman when he sees one. He is definitely not interested, especially when he learns the beauty in the shrink-wrapped wedding dress is his team's owner's runaway bride. John, however, cannot resist Georgeanne's charms for long, and they share one unbelieveable night. But come morning, John puts Georgeanne on a plane back home. His career is just taking off and he is not ready to settle down, especially with a helpless, useless bimbo. Georgeanne, on the other hand, has other ideas. She has no desire to return home, but has no resources to stay. Searching the want ads, Georgeanne applies for a chef's position at a faltering catering firm. Seven years later, John spots Georgeanne at an extravagant benefit dinner. John is now a high-profile hockey star and Georgeanne is co-owner of a successful catering business. John also learns he and Georgeanne have a daughter, a result of their one night together. Determined to be a part of his daughter's life, John tries to convince Georgeanne to accept him back into hers.
The ensuing courtship is hilarious and touching. John and Georgeanne's daughter is the most realistic and charming child character I have ever encountered. The secondary characters in this book are wonderful. This is a laugh-out-loud story, a story to be shared with friends. I can hardly wait for Rachel Gibson's next book.
Nina M.
on 30 November 1997
Sixtyish Virgil Duffy, one of Seattle's richest shipping moguls, is marrying twenty-two year old Georgeanne Howard, trained to be the ultimate southern belle. Attending the nuptials is a mixed crowd with some from high society and others from Virgil's National Hockey League team, the Chinooks. One of the Chinooks reluctantly in attendance is lover boy John Kowasky, who decides to leave before the ceremony. Hopping into his car is Georgeanne, who has jilted the multimillionaire. Once John realizes who he is giving a ride to, he tries to get rid of her, but not before a night of passion occurs.
Seven years later, Georgeanne is raising a child (from that one night of glorious love making) and managing a successful catering business. John and Georgeanne meet at a charity event and both are attracted to each other. John is also amazed to learn that he is a father. He wants to be a part of both Georgeanne and their child's lives, but he must first convince her that she can trust him to stay for the duration this time.
After reading this novel, readers will be stunned to learn that this book is Rachel Gibson's debut tale because it is so well written. The often told story line is surprisingly refreshing, jocular, and torrid as the charming lead protagonists struggle to find love. Fans will find the novel to be SIMPLY IRRESISTABLE and will want more romantic stories from Ms. Gibson.
Harriet Klausner