on 9 October 2017
A read for the end of the day when you don't need to think too deeply
on 9 January 2018
good yarn
on 2 September 2017
Boring - took too long to get to the point of the story "the old girls"
on 30 July 2017
Lively, laugh out loud read. Pure escapism. Fantastic.
on 7 September 2017
Entertaining light read.
on 25 July 2015
Brilliant read
on 18 July 1999
The Old-girl network is a fast and funny read, ideal for the beach or lounging around the garden on a sunny day. It's light and undemanding, but that doesn't mean you have to switch off your brain. The plot is complicated enough to keep your interest, the heroine isn't so dim or the hero such a macho bore that you lose interest in whether they get together or not. In short, it's a modern, witty romance that - in parts - had me laughing out loud. I'd recommend it, and look forward to reading more of Catherine Alliott's books.
on 24 September 2014
Having previously read a Catherine Alliott a few months before as a beach read, which I quite enjoyed for what it was, I chose this one for a second holiday on the recommendations on Amazon. I attempted to read it twice but eventually left it in a book exchange, unread - I hated it. Totally unrealistic, even for a lighthearted beach read, and Polly drove me mad - talk about a dumb airhead! To be honest, rather an insult to someone's intelligence and I'm really at a loss to understand the rave reviews.
on 10 January 2004
This book, although relatively old, was one that caught my eye sometime ago on a recommendations list by amazon. I put it in my wish list for Crimble and alas someone bought me it!
This is the first of Alliots i have read and it will not be the last! I am really impressed!
It begins with the lead character Polly playing her games on the way to work and from then on you just cannot stop laughing, the story goes on to tell of her past present and "what SHE thinks is going to be" her future. The characters Alliot has invented are so loveable, even the "villains", such as her "boyfriend" Harry and her boss Nick. Polly is forever daydreaming about one thing or another and this is where her personality shows itself! The endless twists and turns she takes are what makes the story! A most memorable character who will leave you awake laughing until the early hours definately worth a read!
on 13 February 2001
The question I keep asking myself is this: How can I, a self-proclaimed feminist, be such a sucker for characters like Polly and Nick? In fact, what the heck am I doing reading "chick lit" in the first place? But Polly really is delightful - I think I like her because she's so clumsy and awkward - but when she needs to, can pull it all together. I understand that this is Ms Alliot's first book - it's a great effort, with a solid plot. There's good guys and bad guys (and some of the bad guys are silly bad guys, some are really stinky.) And then there's Nick - without giving it all away, he's a good guy and you have to love him. There's only one problem - I hesitate to read "Going too Far" (the continuation of the Polly saga). I'd like to envision a happy ever after life for her, but I have my doubts about her ability to keep it all together...but this book is a charmer, pick it up!