Customer reviews

One Night Stand (Little Black Dress)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2017
I'm assuming this was one of Julie Cohen's earlier novels. The comparison between this and titles such as "Dear Thing" are worlds apart. This was very amateur chick-lit. Every cliche under the sun packed in to 300 pages. One of those "Looking for love but it's been staring you in the face the whole time" plots - we've all read them. Many a time. This wasn't particularly well written nor very believable. The whole book felt a little flat to me.
on 20 September 2017
Fairly good read. Lots of unnecessary detail. It was obvious her best friend was in love with her from the beginning so it didn't take much to work out the ending.
on 6 March 2008
This is the first Julie Cohen book that I have read and I really enjoyed it. Her writing style is great and she did manage to keep me turning the pages, even though the story was very predictable. I always found myself a few chapters ahead in my mind, but not on the page!

I would recommend this book as a good holiday read, it's a feel good, easy chick lit read, which has not got too many characters or complicated twists. Enjoy!
on 23 January 2008
Although Julie Cohen openly admits to being a US citizen, she has managed to perfectly capture carefully observed British passions, including - Pubs and the folk who make them their second home, Politians and their sexual antics, Eccentric multi-generational women and their pasts, the horrors of chain store shopping, the male obsession with football, and best of all, the hidden compassion, love and committment from our 'grumpy old man-boys'.
Overall, 'One Night Stand' is the kind of contemporary romance you cannot put down - a great page-turner with some real characters and emotional warmth.
on 3 September 2012
do not listen to the negative reviews!!! please give this book a try. I could not put it down and read it in about 4 hours or so between looking after the kids hahaha :)
on 9 January 2008
One Night Stand had me smiling to myself at the witty humour and at the stupidity (at points) and wit of the main character, Eleanor. This book tends to follow the falling for the friend cliché but I found this book entertaining and heart warming.

I enjoyed this book as I have most Little Black Dress publications. The thing that left me a little miffed was the character Hugh; I felt he was a little underwritten. I wanted to know a little more about him, more attention was written about Eleanor's relative, June.

Eleanor Connor writes erotica for a living as well as working in her local pub. Hugh is an endearing character, and a great pastry chef. Geek turned confident man with plenty of luck with the ladies meets frustrated under achiever Eleanor Connor. These friends have never been closer; they live next door to each other, sharing a bedroom wall and all the sound effects of a night of passion.

Eleanor gets drunk after some news and out of annoyance she has a one night stand. She wakes up the next morning with the worst hangover and next to no memory. Realisation creeps in, and the condom hunt begins. The story tells her life, hormones, lusting and the attempts to find the father-to-be that nobody seems to remember.

I did not realise this was by the same author as another LBD publication "Spirit willing, flesh weak". I have to say I much prefer `One night Stand' its a great improvement! I have already passed the book onto my sister to read. If your considering reading this, go for it! I read it in a matter of hours, like a one night stnad i just wish it had lasted longer.
on 29 May 2012
As another reviewer said, it's alright...It didn't make me want to throw it at the wall, but I mostly read it 'cause there wasn't much else to read.
on 16 April 2012
Don't believe in the 4 stars this book is getting, it is definitely worth 5 - it is not like the others, even though it is - try it!
on 11 September 2013
This is the 2nd time I've read this book and I've loved every minute of it. It's a true love story.
on 24 November 2008
Not the best book ever, but there are elements to it that are quite good.