The Return
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2017
I usually love Victoria's books, but I am finding this one very heavy going. I hated the description of the bull fighting, so I skipped most of that part as I found it upsetting (but it got worse). Normally, her books have a wonderful uplifting element to counteract the sadness of human misery, but I am over half way through the book and have not been uplifted yet. I will persevere and read it to the end, but I cannot say that I am enjoying it. Maybe the second half will be better? Well, I have now finished the book and I have not really changed my opinion of it, it was so grim! Whilst the facts of the civil war were probably excellently researched and well-written, I thought that the background family storyline was very unlikely and far-fetched. I read for pleasure, to be entertained, this was more like a dismal documentary.
on 18 August 2016
Part one was enjoyable, part three predictable but part two was soooo boring. I read one in three pages and didn't lose the plot, I found this section which was the larger of the three parts to be very drawn out and very long winded. I did hope for a less predictable ending and I was very pleased when I got to the final page.

Having read and enjoyed both The Sunrise and The Island, I bought all of Victoria's books and I've also pre-ordered postcards but I felt extremely disappointed with this book and therefore it will be some time before I read another book from this author.

I'm not too sure if I will be able to cancel my pre-order but if I can I will.

Unfortunately I could not recommend this book.
on 13 January 2015
Adore this book, so much so that I bought it for my kindle. To Be honest the first chapter didn't catch my attention, and frankly the lead character came across as being a complete wimp (which wasn't needed). She runs away from a broken heart and Once she sets off for spain THAT is when the book comes alive. I found the book fascinating and the story really was super with many intervoven storylines. Would recommend to anyone. Victoria has a nice way with words and didn't need to add the trauma of a relationship breakup as far as I am concerned.
on 22 August 2017
This was my first Victoria Hislop read and I am now focussed to read all her other publications. By the end of page 1 I was sucked in to a colurful engrossing well researched history of the Spanish Civil War. If you are interested in the history of places that you travel to then for anyone going to Spain I would recommend this book. Couldn't put it down.
on 18 January 2015
This isn't a book I would normally choose to read, but it had been recommended by a friend as a good introduction to the Spanish Civil War which I wanted to learn more about.

The actual narrative which covers the period of the Spanish Civil War is good- it's a nice easy read, but a very engrossing story and gives a good general overview of the war. However I found the modern story which frames the main narrative very dull, contrived and quite pointless. Have recommended another friend to read it but to skip the first 150 pages and the last 100 pages!!
on 10 September 2015
I knew very little about the Spanish Civil War prior to reading this book. Victoria Hislop spins the emotional tale of one family and the horrors the war caused to them, and other families, whist at the same time giving the reader a history lesson on the causes, effects and outcomes of the Civil War. Civil war must be the very worst kind of war, with families being divided by politics and violence, and this book tells it like it is, but at the same time is a great story of hope, determination and love
on 10 July 2014
Having enjoyed Hislop's other books I ordered this as well really on an impulse.
My awareness of the Spanish civil war is at best scanty, and this book, which wove in and out of the period was an eye-opener. I enjoyed the story, but more than that I enjoyed the feeling that I was learning about the heartbreak of an all too recent civil war and its legacy.
Hislop is an author whose books are different from each other - they are certainly well-researched and very readable. I do appreciate the effort and imagination passed on to readers.
on 30 August 2011
I read this a while after The Island and found it harder to get "into". A friend warned me that it "wasn't as good as The Island" and I am not sure if I was mindful of this while getting into the book. I am very glad that I did read it. The Return is a very different book and deals with another family finding out things about their past and although the conclusion was a little predictable I thought that the book on the whole was a good read. It made me feel uncomfortable at times as the Spanish Civil War unfolded and the human suffering was laid out but then its a topic that should. I am looking forward to The Thread.
on 27 September 2013
When I started to read The Return my heart sank. Despite it being recommended to me by a friend, it seemed it was going to be a chick flick novel. I was wrong. Once the story went back in time the book was transformed into an interesting and gripping tale set in the Spanish civil war (of which I knew nothing). The sometimes hard hitting plot takes you across Spain and moves between characters with ease telling of their individual fights for survival. My only niggle is the corny and predictable ending which is also somewhat far fetched & made me wonder how the story teller could know what happened if he'd never met the heroine again?
on 8 May 2017
I didn't think much of this book at first as it seemed a bit trashy and naive, but as the book developed into Part 2 it became more interesting and meaningful. I enjoyed reading the Spanish words, and I have become much better informed about the Spanish Civil War from reading this book.