Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2003
I read this book in a couple of sittings. As with all of Jill Mansell's books (yes I have read them all)the beauty of them is the fact that you feel that you really want know the characters and care about what happens to them. Jill Mansell's ability to continually create characters that are life-like is what makes her books so easy to read and so popular.
This book like many of her other books follows basically the same formula ,beautiful girl with whacky/not so beautiful friend fancies a very handsome/rich man but the path of true love never follows the smoothest or shortest route, just like life really, eh! The main characters Nell and Marcus are the beautiful ones, but chaotic friend Hetty has her fair share of attention, as does Nell's strange but loveable family. Also there is an adequate helping of sex and lust just to keep it ticking along nicely!
I simply gave this book a four star rating only beacause I did not enjoy it as much as some of her previous books,Millie'Fling being my all-time favourite so far, but Open House is still definately worth a read.
on 4 June 2003
This is the second Jill Mansell book i have read and i'm equally impressed with this then "staying at Daisy's".
I read this within two days because it is so easy to read but very difficult to put down. The characters are amazingly real and you begin to feel you know them, and you sympathise with their situations. It's so real you begin to wonder what you would do in their situation.
The story lines and twists are also really good and a couple were unexpected. Overall this is a fantastic book. Jill Mansell is great...i've already started another book of hers! Enjoy!
on 31 July 2011
I enjoyed this book, as I enjoy all Jill Mansell novels, but found this was not one of her best books, I new what the ending would be after the first few pages.

Nell who comes from a Gypsy family, is a fortune teller in her spare time. She meets the Earl of Kilburton (Marcus), when she was 15 and he was 16, and they took an instant dislike to each other. Nell goes to University to obtain a degree and she meets Ben who is going to be her first love, but later on tragedy strikes.

Ten years after she first met Marcus, Nell gets a job working for him in his castle, but you can guess what happens later on, but Ben stands in the way of her secret relationship with Marcus.

There are a lot of characters in this book, Hetty whose husband Tony left her, for the best selling author Vanessa, there daughter Rachael. One character in this book I did not like at all, she is a spoilt so and so. A new Doctor arrives in the village who is divorced with a daughter. There is quite a lot of gossip about Nell mother Miriam.

Obviously not one of Jill Mansell better books, because it was to predictable from the beginning, but I do not expect every book of hers to be a 5* rating, every author can get it wrong from time to time.
on 29 August 2003
I was a bit disappointed with this, I've read all of Jill Mansells books (I think, there are quite a lot!) and this one didn't stand out. Hetty seemed very familiar as a similar character (plump and abandoned by her husband) has appeared in at least one of her other novels. There was also a rather convenient death of one of the characters (I won't say who!) There wasn't much of a spark between the 'hero' Marcus and the 'heroine' Nell either. As the book is about predictions, maybe the feeling that they were bound to end up together was intentional but it would have been nice to keep us guessing just a little! I do love this author, and I enjoyed this book, its just not my favourite (that would probably be Perfect Timing).
on 26 March 2014
I am struggling to get into this book, unlike the other 5 or so of Jill Mansell's books that I have read. Not many characters in it and I am struggling to connect with them. Just over 1/3 of the way through though so maybe it will get better!
on 22 March 2016
I've just finished listening to the audio version of this book. It's wonderfully written, completely fluent dialogue and no padding out. The main characters and their individual stories are believable and the author portrays them with humour and credibility. With HEA's all round this was a very enjoyable 12hrs of listening pleasure . I'm that impressed with the author I will be moving on to her next book "an offer you can't refuse"' happy listening or reading .
on 15 February 2014
Highly recommend this book. Great light hearted read. I've yet to be disappointed by her novels. on to the next book by Jill mansell.
on 18 May 2003
Jill Mansell is one of the few authors who has inspired me to buy all her novels. She is consistently good, and is sometimes brilliant. Unfortunately, this novel is not one of her brilliant efforts, but is certainly worth reading. She has yet to disappoint, and her latest novel is always waited for with anticipation. She has an appealing sense of humour, and her characters are usually well developed. My favourite is probably "Good At Games", but it is obviously down to personal preference. Anyway, I digress. It's a good book, and certainly worth a read. Enjoy!
on 15 October 2015
you might pay a little bit more for Jill Mansell books but you will always get a whole lot more for your money. Again jill has included so many lovely characters you get lots of love stories and feel good factor for the price of one. well done jill. x
on 18 March 2013
I am new to Jill Mansell and have enjoyed several of her past books. This wasn't her best as the background detail of the storyline wasn't so detailed and so I wasn't that interested in the main female character. But it was still a good read and the story rollicked along well.