Customer reviews

Something Dangerous [The Spoils of Time trilogy volume 2]
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2016
I think there is something along the lines of 62 'absurds' in chapter one! That did get on my nerves a tad, an absolutely over used word!!! As for Lady Celia....I adored her character in No Angel but in Something Dangerous she is just a grumpy old obnoxious snob. What a shame. Anyway, I am half way through, it's not bad, not nearly as good as the first but still, glad I'm reading it. Will definitely want to read the final trilogy, let's hope Lady Celia gets a sense of humour in that one.
on 6 April 2017
Gripping
You really need to start at the beginning but you will be well and truly hooked.
I can say I lived the whole three books.
You will not regret one minute of your time.
When you start the first book expect to block out some time!!!!!!!!
on 26 July 2017
How does this lady spin such long and galloping yarns? I love the way each ends, Most of the tangles unravelled but just a few for the next book to carry on with. Not the cheapest books to buy but so much reading and such action at such a pace, a good buy and thoroughly recommended.
on 11 September 2017
Brilliant read
on 23 July 2015
Great, would recommend.
on 17 April 2017
Pleased.
on 4 October 2001
As always with Penny Vincenzi's books, I bought and devoured the hardback the moment it hit the shelves.
A fat delightful and utterly compelling read, following on from her last novel, No Angel, and developing the stories of the characters who came alive on the page the last time.
Celia is as dreadful as ever, Michael as long suffering and LM as wise. The social and political climate of the time are brilliantly evoked and skilfully used as the backdrop for the usual page-turning, compulsive plot.
It really isn't wise to start reading this if you have things you must do, as I found I resented every moment spent away from it until I had finished it.
on 25 May 2009
I believe I will upset a fair few Penny Vincenzi fans here: I have just finished the second book in the trilogy ("Something Dangerous") and to my surprise and slight disappointment I have to disagree with the majority of reviewers of this book who have given it five stars. I did not think this was quite up to the excellent standard of "No Angel", the first book in the trilogy, which I read immediately before starting this one.

Whilst "Something Dangerous" is on the whole a good read and much happens to keep the interest of the reader, there are some parts where I felt slightly let down. Although the description of the second World War was good some parts were, in my opinion, dragged out. It was as though the author was using her research on the war to pad out the book a little.

Towards the end, the story was rushed. I am talking specifically about Barty here. Without wishing to ruin the story for anyone who has not yet read the book, I think that her change in status felt very sudden - and given that she is key character, I think a little more thought here would have been nice, especially as the author had 722 pages in which to develop this! Also, more significantly, I didn't particularly like Barty as I approached the end of the book. I think she seemed a little too superior and ungrateful to the family who had raised her and given her so many opportunities in life. The fact that I have taken a slight dislike to her is not such a good sign as I look at the third book 'Into Temptation' which is still on my shelf awaiting to be read', as I understand she is central to this book also.

Despite this book's faults, I am looking forward to reading the third novel because I still admire Penny Vincenzi's style of writing in general, however I think I will take a break from the trilogy and read a few other books before embarking on the final book to avoid Lytton overload!
on 1 February 2014
I was confused throughout the book as it repeatedly moved from one character to another. I also found the spaces between each paragraph unnecessary and they disrupted the reading pattern.
on 30 August 2002
This must be one of the most un-put-downable books I have ever read. The stories of the individual characters made some of the most compelling reading I have ever experienced in this type of book. Penny Vincenzi made them and the huge problems they faced so totally believable. So many books these days attract such hype and praise and I've been disappointed with other best-sellers. But certainly not this one. I'd give it more stars if I could!! It really was a fantastic read and I can't wait to read the final title in the trilogy.