Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 1999
I once heard that reading this book is like delving into a delicious box of chocolates - I couldn't agree more!The plot is very involving and you soon get caught up in all the character's lives.I've read four Penny Vincenzi novels - two set around the same period (this one and Forbidden Places - also excellent), and two other more modern ones which I actually found rather dull.Penny Vincenzi has a real knack of bringing the 1930's to life and I just hope she writes some more set in this era!
on 15 June 2016
This was good, it was not in any way up to the standards of No Angel! I felt it somewhat long winded towards the end. However, a great beach read or just a bit of escapism. Its got the normal Penny Vincenzi twists and turns, each chapter keeps you on you're toes! It's just not as fantastic as No Angel, I cannot wait to read the next book in the trilogy.
on 6 April 2017
One of Penny - Vincenzis' best novels I have read so far.
She has certainly done extensive research into the period and as a reader you warm so much to Cassia.
An interesting insight,well written as always and a pleasure to enjoy.
Recommended.
on 6 March 2017
Fab ! A great holiday read
on 2 June 2017
Slow but the more you persevered with it you got to the end. I have read better penny vincenzi books
on 26 April 2017
Excellent book read it on holiday
on 26 May 2017
very good
on 7 November 2015
I think Penny Vincenzi doesn't exist at all - I think tucked away in the back office of some publisher, is a computer that churns out these books to a formula .
Formula is fairly basic - you need an oppressed but clever female in love with an arrogant rich male - usually both married to other people - throw in some exotic locations carefully researched using foreign guide books , and some period costume and cars .
The book gets churned out at the other end and gives you an unlike able , selfish heroine who puts her own unhappiness before every one else's and an arrogant , good in bed man who eventually wins her hand - the chaos and unhappiness they create in their wake takes no account of the long term effects of their behaviour on anyone at all - happy ever after ?
One presumes not in the due course of such things - but at least everything is hurriedly resolved on the last two pages - who cares about all the meaningless twists and turns it took to get there ?
Last PV book I will buy - if you've got one, you've got them all .
on 9 October 2010
I have read a lot of Penny Vinzenci books and they are all page turners with twists and turns in the story, I felt windfall to be slower than her other books to get going. Having said that, I stuck with it and found as always that I didn't want to put it down. Sometimes I needed to take a look at the character list at the front of the book to jog my memory of who they were if I hadn't had a chance to read it for a day or two.Sadly that may be just me getting forgetful
A great read as always from Penny Vinzenci
on 12 July 2011
Have just re-read this book and think its GREAT. Vincenzi's books are all very good or excellent because she has a way of bringing in many other characters along side the main ones and bringing them to ALL life.

This one, starting in the 1930's is particularly enjoyable, cataloguing not only the struggle by females to enter the medical profession and come out of the mother/housewife mould but also giving great insight into how the rich lived then and the way the fashion industry was evolving. It is totally contemporary even mentioning the royal 'romance' between Edward the V111th. and Mrs. Simpson.

All in all a great read.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.