VINE VOICEon 30 July 2006
I picked this up with a few doubts, having read a mixed bag of collaborative works from James Patterson recently. It didn't take long, however, for these doubts to be quelled.

Judge and Jury tells the tale of the trial of mob boss Dominic Cavello. When the trial is cut short for the most brutal of reasons, FBI agent Nick Pellisante teams up with Andie DeGrasse, one of the jurors, in a personal quest to bring him to justice. Curiously, the Amazon synopsis of this book has slightly different character names, but this is a minor detail.

While like most thrillers, Judge and Jury has to be taken with a pinch of salt, the story is riveting and exciting. Ignore the slightly far-fetched and shocking mob characters, and focus instead on the slick plotting. You'll race through this book in no time. The book uses Patterson's trademark short chapters, boiling down scenes to the nitty-gritty, and it works extremely well here.

How much Andrew Gross wrote is unclear, because unlike Patterson's collaborations with Peter de Jonge, the style is very much Patterson's own. And while I still believe that Patterson is spreading himself too thin when he should be writing on his own, Judge and Jury is one of the better works in which he shares the credit with another writer. Definitely a good summer crime story, and should keep fans of Alex Cross sated until the new thriller featuring Patterson's greatest character arrives later this year.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2007
This is another of Patterson & Co's run of the mill legal thrillers.
I'm a fan of James Patterson and for some reason always get excited with a release of a new paperback from him and always rush out to get it. But lately his books fail to leave an impression. They are enjoyable, fast paced reads with his trademark short chapters. I wonder why he pairs up with these other authors. If the books were really sensational and orginal i'd be able to understand why he had to get help from another author. But i'm sure he could easily write these brain dead books alone.
I'm not telling you to not buy this book. If your a fan of his other books you won't be dissapointed but there's nothing new to be found here.
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2007

Definitely a good crime story, and a tip off to look out for Andrew Gross's new solo novel, out soon.
on 11 August 2006
I am a huge james patterson fan, read all of his books, and once again this proved to be another topper.

I started reading it on tuesday morning and had if finnished by the wednesday lunch time. (that included going out for dinner)

Its a fast paced page turner, that doesn't dissapoint.

A must for any james patterson fans and a perfect first read for those of you who enjoy a gripping thriller.
on 26 July 2006
I thought this was a great summer read. Just when you think evereything is ok, James Patterson writes something new into our heads and leaves us turning the pages. Another gripping read. One of his best I think. He has a unique writing style that always inpresses. I strongly reccommend this book if you are looking for suspense!!
on 4 January 2014
I love James Patterson's books, I like the short chapters which is synonymous with James' work. An engrossing read with.a twist at the end as always. I've also read Andrew Gross, the two authors make an excellent team.

The book itself is about a mafia boss who gets caught and is brought to trial. The detailing of the trial is excellent and the way the mafia boss gets sprung is good.

The rest of the book relates to the ensuing Chase between FB I and mafia boss.

Kept me out of mischief for a couple of days.
on 22 April 2014
It is difficult to put this book down once you have begun. A typical James Patterson easy to read fast moving thriller. A really enjoyable unusual story sometimes within the law and other times skimming around the edges. I recommend it.
on 8 December 2013
This was a terrific story, I couldn't put it down. I did enjoy the way justice was dispensed, particularly when going through the legal channels hadn't worked. It was a super storyline and it worked for me. I would like to see more about the justice system. I would recommend this book
on 7 December 2013
Its been a while since I read a JP book having read most of his work and being a huge fan. had a sabbatical due to work commitments. However, now given 3 books for my birthday I started with Judge and Jury - a good courtroom drama and a real case of cat and mouse.

Dominic Cavello vs Nick Pellisante, the latter being a cop who has chased and caught the underworld boss after years of hunting. However, Nicks adversary knows no limits, has no boundaries, no conscience, no fear, no morals, and anyone who crosses him or simply gets in his way, usually ends up dead.
Two courtroom hearings, both with devastating events, and then a hunt to the End of the World to find the heavily protected killer. How will it end? Will Nick become the Judge and Jury at the thrilling climax?

This is a great book - I seared through it in 5 commutes too and from work at breakneck speed, such is the manner of writing and the twists and turns. Really good.
on 30 August 2006
Excellent storyline. The story keeps you wondering what will happen next.

When I started reading, I thought it would be similar to the juror, but how wrong was I. The story is much better and is consistant with Pattersons high standards.