on 30 March 2016
I have no idea why, but this is the first Jill Mansell novel I've read, in spite of owning five or six of her books. I've meant to get round to it for ages, but recently, I decided to finally read one, and I selected Rumour Has It at random.
Well, I was completely hooked! From the first page the characterisation was outstanding and the writing strong. Jill Mansell makes it look completely effortless. The narrative flows onto the page, as bubbly and sparkling as fine Champagne, and I was carried along, utterly enthralled to the very last page.
I found all the characters really enjoyable - even Stella, who I actually ended up feeling really sorry for. Can't say more than that. Spoilers! Tilly was lovely, and I was rooting for her all the way through the story. I totally adored Jack, and could quite see why the ladies of Roxborough were so smitten with him. Max and Lou were lovely - witty and interesting in their own right. And how refreshing to see an ex-wife portrayed in a good light, with a marriage that ended in friendship instead of all-out war.
The writing is so warm and funny and easy to read, which is the sign of a gifted writer. It's lovely to read the last line, hug the book (or Kindle!) to you, and heave a deep sigh of satisfaction, and that's what I did last night, having stayed up late to finish Rumour Has It, as I desperately wanted to know how it ended. I now have four or five other Jill Mansell books to read, and the prospect of many more available to buy, which is a lovely position to be in. Definitely five star fiction!
on 7 April 2016
Opening up a Jill Mansell novel is like putting on a pair of slippers - cosy, warm and no surprises. I downloaded this onto the Kindle app on my phone as it was on special offer and mistakenly thought it was a new release. I wasn't disappointed though. The main characters are fun, warm and witty, and the story is easy to follow albeit a little predictable as to who Tilly will end up with once it becomes clear that her new employer, whilst being attractive and single is actually gay. The story covers a lot of ground, there are actually three relationships covered over the course of the book but surprisingly none of them feels like padding to increase the word count. If I was to criticise the storyline it would be to say that it does seem to come to an abrupt halt with Jack suddenly proposing to Tilly even though they haven't even managed to go on a date or spend a significant amount of time alone.
on 31 March 2016
I really struggled to get into this book. I'm a keen reader and usually love a good thriller but after reading several of them I wanted something a little bit more lighthearted and cheerful. But i was so disappointed after reading the reviews of this apparent comedy, I didn't love once, I barely even smiled. This book was full of heartache and there were far too much going on, I didn't get a chance to full in love with any of the characters because there were so many. We went through a man moaning the death of his fiancé, a bullied teenager, a Hollywood star running over a dog and a strange love triangle resulting in one of them dying of cancer. None of which were funny. This was the first time I read one of her books, I won't be reading anymore.
on 26 March 2016
This book is a very good read starting with Tilly's change of employment and moving from London to an area where her best friend had a business. It leads into the lives of the people who come in contact with Tilly. Well worth a read.
on 1 June 2016
Tilly finds herself working as a girl Friday in a village full of characters. Jack Lucas fancies Tilly but she resists being a notch on his bedpost when it seems every woman in the vicinity boasts about his prowess! What is the truth versus fiction? Couldn't put this book down, absolutely loved it.
on 16 April 2016
Very pleasant, well written romance. Girl moves to a small gossipy village where she is determined not to become the latest conquest of the
area's most eligible bachelor. Jill Mansell creates believable, well rounded characters and I would be keen to read more of her books. It would be a good holiday read as it wasn't a complicated plot requiring a lot of concentration. Also created a lot of feel good factor.
on 15 April 2010
I have been reading Jill Mansell's books since 1997 and really, really enjoy them however this one was a bit of a disappointment. I found Tilly rather irritating and she didn't trust Jack one bit. She was prepared to listen to other people rather than him so why would you want a relationship with someone you don't trust! I raced through the book in a few days and I did enjoy the sub-plots but Tilly and Jack just seemed to exist together in a series of coincidental meetings. I didn't feel I got to know Tilly at all. I usually love Jill Mansell's "feel good" novels but this one was not up to her usual standard which is a shame!
on 8 June 2012
I'm a relatively new reader of Jill Mansell's books and I have so far found them very hit and miss. This was the worst so far, very little plotwise and the main character Tilly was so irritating I found it hard to care enough for a booksworth let alone believe that someone would fall in love with her!

'To the moon and back' and 'Take a chance on me' were far more enjoyable although Jill does seem to have a formula and stick to it (wacky opinionated teenage girl, late twenties pretty main character, dashing womanizing male lead not to be trusted etc)
on 21 March 2016
I have never ever been disappointed in a Jill Mansell book. They are charming, frequently laugh out loud funny, and a really good read. They are the sort of book you'll keep, as you know you'll need to read it again, and again and possibility again.
on 21 April 2012
I've said it before... I normally like murder books but now i own 7 JM books and it's becoming a habit!

Rumour has it is a favourite, i read it within 24 hours, could not put it down, yes it's preditable which most of her books are but this one deals with some hard issues with sensitively and humour, i have lost people to the same condition so was able to connect but it was handled and written really well...

I have lived it a small village like in the book and although not quite as racy, still was pretty near!! Must admit i'd love to live in the village book lol!

I loved this book, preditable, you don't have to really think, a good read to curl up with and forget the outside world!