Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2005
great book with many twists and turns. wont say too much i dont want to give much away. you start off with many people, at first i did not see how it was all going to fit, it took a few days to get to 50 pages after this i sat and read for hours til i got to the end. Rob and Steve have bred a winner Goldeneye. Steve is a bookmaker and a poor one recently. someone is betting big sums of money at the last min, and winning huge sums. A stable girl Ivana has run from another country to get away from her ex, it seems she has not run far enough when he reappears at the stud, shortly after she is killed by a dangerous horse, sound boring? believe me each of these has a twist, the people you think are bad are good and the ones that are good are bad,
on 31 December 2013
Once started the plot was slowly built up with characters introduced and several red herrings. The pace of the plot stopped you you from putting it down as it reached the final tragic result but then more was revealed and off the story ran like the horse Goldeneye to the post.
on 29 November 2006
Loads of twists and turns in this racing thriller - but I'm a Francome fan. I agree with the review from a reader on the hardback listing - it's not produced here so I quote: 'great book with many twists and turns. wont say too much i dont want to give much away. you start off with many people, at first i did not see how it was all going to fit, it took a few days to get to 50 pages after this i sat and read for hours til i got to the end. Rob and Steve have bred a winner Goldeneye. Steve is a bookmaker and a poor one recently. someone is betting big sums of money at the last min, and winning huge sums. A stable girl Ivana has run from another country to get away from her ex, it seems she has not run far enough when he reappears at the stud, shortly after she is killed by a dangerous horse, sound boring? believe me each of these has a twist, the people you think are bad are good and the ones that are good are bad'
on 4 July 2007
I was disappointed by this offering from John Francome. I think there were far too many characters in the book. Now I know that characters are very essential in any book but with this one we were treated to sub-passages relating to Rob and Bella; then Kathy and Steve and then Tomas and Ivana.

When I began reading the book the scene was set OK and then there would be a paragraph about Rob and I don't think he was a particularly exciting character. I did enjoy reading about Kathy I felt she was an exciting character and I would have liked to have read lots more about her. The character Gary who was introduced in the middle of the book never really got into the novel and then when he did it was near the end. I would have liked to have known what Kathy and Gary got up to but by that time the novel had ended.

I have read another John Francombe book and that was very good but I did not feel this was exciting enough and I was disappointed.
on 25 November 2006
I did finish this book but only just... the story was reasonably interesting but the characters are quite one-dimensional. I much prefer the racing thrillers written by Dick Francis in his earlier years as I find them far more gripping and the characters, albeit dated sometimes, are far better drawn.
on 27 December 2012
Cover Up

I love books by John Francome and Dick Francis. They always have a good twist and Cover up was no exception.
on 22 October 2013
Very interesting book my husband could not put it down loved it. Really good story. All about horse racing. Great
on 13 July 2013
I Love Francome's books anyway and this one is no exception.It keeps you interested up to the last page. Great
on 1 December 2013
If one likes an author's style one is likely to buy their books.I do and I did.nothing to add to that.
on 17 May 2013
good easy read , nice twist of story at end . good book to chill out with not too heavy in content