Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2005
I didn't know Wendy Holden at all but I discovered her with pleasure. The novel is witty and funny and the plot is always renewed by various unexpected events. I particularly enjoyed Jake's caracter: an eco-recycling-organic-natural maniac, the way he recycles ABSOLUTELY everything is hilarious! I would definitely recommend this novel!
on 16 April 2015
As ever, brilliant
on 14 September 2005
Wendy Holden has done it again! Combining characters that make your blood boil with a sharp comedy storyline and more twists than a corkscrew makes this book one excellent read!
on 29 May 2015
Fantastic read
on 31 August 2015
An easy read
on 10 August 2006
We have two stories intertwined here - the extreme 'eco friendly' life of Alice and Jake vs the shallow object-based lifestyle of Hugo and Amanda. Alice finds herself accidentally pregnant after a one afternoon stand with Jake. Amanda wants a baby because it's the `new in thing' and for all the designer freebees she can get as a magazine journalist.

Alice leaves her well-paid career-driven existence in New York to shack up with Jake, who impresses her with his ethical stance on living. Through the book Jake gets more and more extreme, with his desire to be as ethical and eco friendly as possible impacting massively on Alice and their baby Rosa's life. Those of you who have read Leo Hickman's 'A Life Stripped Bare' may be amused to see several anecdotes from his book used in 'The Wives of Bath'. Although very amusing in places, it was a timely warning to myself how my views on ethical living could affect those around me, as I saw a lot of myself in Jake.

The monstrous Amanda has a very skewed idea of motherhood. She imagines moving to the countryside (i.e. anywhere not London) and living an idyllic life with a `perfect' baby and carrying on as before. The reality of course is very different. Once the nanny ups and leaves, she goes back to work (in New York no less!) at the first opportunity, leaving Hugo and baby Theo to muddle along as best they can. The comedy here is mainly in Hugo's complete inexperience as a parent: he can't even put a nappy on right! His experiences as a part time working father identifies with many parents. Hugo is really the hero of this tale, as he realises there is more to life than selling bad houses, develops as a person and experiences real love through Theo and Alice.

For all it's chick lit credentials this book was funny, well written and had a lovely, enjoyable story. Yes, the ending is cliched, but how else would the reader want it to end?
on 9 January 2007
I thought this book was fantastic, It was so funny and highlighted the current trend in the "celebrity mother" stories, I thought the way Holden tied in all the characters was very clever and made a really great storyline.

This was the first book I have read where I was genuinely thrilled that two of the main people, Hugo and Alice get together and the dad left holding the baby senario was sympathetic, realistic and amusing, the only thing I was a little bemused with and thought a little silly was the Jake being gay suddenly and that Hugo's wife Amanda could have been toned down a bit as the Cruella de ville image of her was slightly over the top, although I suppose it is vital for the reader to understand just how vile and self induldgent, dillusional etc ...Amanda is,so in a way its justified.

I also thought the Eco warrior/psyco Jake was a brilliant storyline and so clever how he managed to tempt the lovely Alice away from such a high powered enviroment, he made his world seem such a great place to be in, particulary for the stressed out vunerable Alice.

All of it great...ive just ordered another two Wendy Holden novels as I trust her writing abilities to entertain me further...looking forward to reading them asap.

BUY THIS BOOK, YOU WONT REGRET IT !!
on 14 December 2005
This is the first book by this author that I have bought. I thoroughly enjoyed it and could not put it down. I stayed awake reading until I had found out exactly what happened. It’s a bit of a Hollywood ending and could have been a bit more realistic but it was good fun and you finish it feeling that life is all OK.
An absolute must, especially if you have ever had children as you can really relate to some of the funny incidents.
I would highly recommend this book and plan on buying some more by Wendy Holden.
on 18 August 2005
I didn't know anything about Wendy Holden before picking out this book completely by chance. The story is hilarious from the first page and I loved the characters who develop so well during the plot.
There are also lots of nice twists. It would make a great film. Really good fun. Have already ordered other titles by this author from Amazon.
on 27 October 2006
This was an enjoyable easy read. It had me chuckling out loud on several occasions and kept me up late at night when I should have gone to bed. Like the other reviewers there was an aspect of the ending that I did not like and I nearly knocked a star off for this...but the rest of the book was so enjoyable I changed my mind. Great stuff.