The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2011
I found this book by chance in my local library - it was the title that drew my attention. After only the first page I knew the book was unusual and that I wouldn't be able to put it down. The book tells a story of a girl and her quite extraordinary friends and family, all set in the pre-Elvis Presley area (and this is actually quite important:)). The book is unputtable, the story is written in such beautiful way that it makes you want to find out what's on the next page, and then the next... I gave this book to my friend for Christmas because I wanted at least one more person to find delight in reading this story, and to feel as uplifted and have such a big smile on the face like I did and had. A superb read, highly recommended.
on 26 March 2017
The cover is misleading. This is so much more than your usual chick-lit. Now one of my favourite re-reads when nothing else appeals or whenever I'm feeling a bit low - it's the perfect bittersweet remedy. I now own it on Kindle and paperback but would love to have it on Audible too - please??!! Maeve Dermody (SS-GB) reading perhaps?
on 20 March 2013
I loved this book for its originality of content and style. It is unashamedly 'girly' and romantic, but a cut above some popular chick-lit. If, like me, you grew up in the 50/60's I think you will love it, but it should have a much wider appeal. If you enjoyed ' I captured the castle' Dodie Smith, you will find this novel just as good.
The cover really doesn't illustrate the intelligent content of the book. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 30 May 2016
Absolutely charming. Have read this unusual story several times and lent it to many friends and not got the copy back. Hence this is my third purchase.
on 12 March 2018
Really enjoyed. My first from this author and desperate for more! Really different and so enjoyable.
on 4 December 2015
I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction (this is set in the 50s), but I thought the title beyond intriguing.
This is a lovely, coming of age story.
Best distraction I've had for a while.
on 16 June 2014
I enjoyed reading this book it was an easy jolly read with a twist in the tail and set in the 60's took me back to the days of my youth although I did not move in the circles that these characters did. (I did go to a ball at the Ritz and that brought back memories).
on 2 April 2014
Loved it, the first time and feel the same way this time. Rosamund Pilcher is an amusing narrator, usually when she tries the mens voices, apart from that she's perfect for this absolutely charming!
on 4 October 2016