on 24 June 2007
I read this book in one sitting, pausing only to make tea and later to open a bottle of wine. It made me laugh and cry in equal measure and captured perfectly the ambivalent nature of long term relationships. I was utterly captivated from page one and only wish there were more books as evocative. The ending - which I won't give away - is as uplifting is at is unexpected. Having finished it I immediately ordered all her others.
on 19 May 2006
This is my favourite of Raffaella Barker's novels. It is exceptionally well writen. She has a gift for writing in the style of multi characters, in this case her heroine, a wife and mother named Angel, Angel's husband Nick and son Jem. She has a wonderful understanding of human nature, and here describes with great vividness the disintegration of a marriage. It is a very modern, spare book. recommended.
on 23 July 2011
A bit more chick lit than I had expected. I didn't like or empathise with the two main characters and I found the dialogue of the two small children tedious and irritating.I ended up skim reading it !I thought the whole thing was a depressing view of marriage in middle age, not the profound vision the blurb on the cover promised.
on 15 November 2014
Sadly, I found this quite depressing. However, very convincing characters if not always very likeable - except Jem, whom I warmed to hugely. Sometimes taken over by a little too much description which was distracting even though it did underline Angel's character.
on 12 June 2014
I love this author's books and wanted to have them myself, the book came quickly and in excellent condition, it looked like it has hardly been read at all, I would certainly buy from this seller again.
on 2 July 2014
Enjoyed the book very much
on 18 January 2015