Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive track - Ed Sheeran Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 25 May 2017
Ok Started watching this on Amazon and after the 4th episode decided to read the book. I had heard the book is a cracking read which I'm sure it is.
decided to go for the Kindle version and commenced reading however when I got to the end of chapter 1 and the last few pages don't show as a full page of text so half of the pages are missing meaning the continuity between the pages is lost. fortunately as I had seen this part of the story line on Amazon I understood what the plot was but very vexing none the less.
I've given it the full 5 stars because I don't doubt its a good book its just the Kindle version has issues.
I'll press on reading it but if it occurs again I'll be contacting Amazon.
on 19 June 2017
This book is a superb collision of deities from around the world, and the rise of secularism in the west. Imagine philosophical discussion on those topics, framed in a intriguing fictional narrative, that is American Gods. We are thrown into the lore at the deep end along with the protagonist, Shadow, who is trying to figure out the motives of various competing deities. Being lost in the lore along with the protagonist, makes for an alluring read throughout, as things slowly begin to fit together, before the rug is pulled out from under us again and again. Neil Gaiman at his best, this is a phenomenal read.
on 30 March 2017
I was hoping for a bit more from this book. The concept is a good one and clearly lots of people have enjoyed the novel but it fell far short of what I was expecting. There really isn't much of a plot and the length of the book stretches what little there is far too thinly. What you end up with is a meandering picaresque tale full of dark mutterings of impending doom but very little actually happens. There isn't very much in the way of characterisation either which is fair enough when it comes to the gods but surely the mortal humans could have been a bit more than two dimensional. Hopefully the TV series will be better but they'll need to take the basic idea and leave the rest in the book for that to happen.
on 24 May 2017
After dear Terry died I was bereft and lacking in the literary equivalent of comfort food... I decided I'd try Gaiman because he's the next obvious choice. I've enjoyed the book, but for me there's something lacking, most probably because I miss Discworld so much. Still a bloody good read though! Well done, that man.
on 5 March 2017
Gave it a 4 as the first part is very similar to Clive Barker's "the damnation game".
After that, it is a great story with a very original take on the old myths and introducing ones that (at least) I had not heard of. A few of which I have looked up since then.
on 18 April 2017
Fantastic book, first book I have read by this Author, I'm ashamed to say!
I couldn't out Redbook down every page has you wanting to find out what happened next.
Loved every minute of it.
Sorry I didn't give out spoilers, just do yourself a favour and read this book.
If it's the only book you read this year, parts if it will stick in your mins and make you wonder about everything, from the meaning of life to slavery to emigrating hundreds of year's ago and taking your believes with you.
on 26 March 2017
It is rare for a book to be so full of information and intrigue and not become overbearing to read. Neil Caiman has a way of giving doses of wonderment laced with something insanely addictive. Read this book
on 7 September 2017
I'd been meaning to read this for some time and the arrival of a TV version on NetNowPrime/whatever prompted me to buy it at last. I had already been intrigued by the basic premise ("What happened to all the gods that previous immigrants to America brought with them then forgot?") and was looking forward to an absorbing read.

I'm sorry to say that I was to some extent disappointed. That's not to say that the book isn't well-written or well plotted, indeed there were several plot twists that took me by surprise (always a delight in my book) and the tone and language of the novel achieves the level of sheer poetry in places; however, there seemed to be too much "filler" in the convoluted road trip that occupies the majority of the story. The various takes on traditional folk tales were pleasant interludes and reminded me to some extent of Gene Wolfe, whose writing I greatly admire, but the big climax was more like a Marvel movie, all special effects and flash but, in the end, unsatisfying.

Throughout, I was also reminded of Gaiman's "Neverwhere", also a fine novel, but I was regularly frustrated that Gaiman doesn't seem to have matured from his (much) earlier breakthrough. Is it just me, or would you expect more originality of concept from a writer of greater experience and, presumably, development of technique.

It's definitely worth a read, don't mistake my review as damning, but, in my opinion, it doesn't live up to the hype and should have been so much better to merit its praise and fan following.
on 5 June 2017
I have tried hard not to include any spoilers. There is so much going within the pages of this book.
As a fan of "the sandman" and "stardust" I was a little late in coming to "american gods" the book is excellent with some well written characters and a plot that is not revealed fully until the last few acts. Weaving norse mythology, older gods and myths with the worship of the modern technologies that give us tingles whenever we get a electronic thumbs up. The human characters are pawns for the gods battles to survive with limited and waning belief. Everything here is perfectly believable from the introduction of mr Wednesday to the suicide by cop of the child killer in the perfect town. (A reveal that ends the book perfectly)
There is so much going on and you are drawn into the backstage of the battle peaking out to watch as an old god plays out a plan hundreds of years in the making. Shadow is a great character and as you read and follow his aparantly random meetings with conmen gods and demi-gods you want him to come out on top.
I came away with a feeling that I would be re-reading this book for many years to come.

On a final note. The new tv series deviates from the book a fair amount. I've only watched the 1st 2 episodes so far but the differences are noticeable but right for the medium of tv. They are both enjoyable and I look forward the the conclusion the the tv series.
on 1 April 2017
Mr Gaiman at his best. Yet another triumph. Wonderfully surreal and entertaining as always. Read 'The Ocean' it's also awesome!