Sheer Abandon
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 December 2017
Good Read for anyone even my dad enjoyed it.
on 5 October 2017
It's simply a great read, young people meet at an airport ready to fly off for an exciting year away before university. We pick up the story 18 years later and discover what has happened to them.
on 12 September 2017
The twists and turns kept you interested until the end
on 2 May 2017
Excellent book I couldn't put it down.
on 6 March 2015
Great read, didn't want to put it down. Loved the way the characters developed.
Love reading Penny Vincenzi, keep up the excellent work please
on 11 August 2005
Sadly, I have to concur with the previous two negative reviews. Whilst I couldn't say that the book is a total bore, unlike any of Penny Vincenzi's previous books, it totally failed to engage me. The characterisation was a confusing hotch-potch of British politics (yawn), unlikely foreys into journalism and medicine. None of the characters were remotely believable. Nor likeable for that matter. Throughout the whole book I had the feeling that the author really didn't have a clue where she would go with this story. As one reviewer commented, the whole caboodle could have been written in two A 4 pages.
What a very, VERY odd book from such an accomplished story teller. If you find it cheaply in a boot sale and you are planning a long reading period due to enforced confinement - go for it. Otherwise, don't bother. Buy all of her other books instead, though!! Now those are truly EXCELLENT reads.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 June 2007
I have read all Penny's books and loved them all but this one. Normally her books leave me not wanting to put them down but unfurtunately I found this hard to pick up.I think it was plainly obvious from the onset who the father was and found the book quite boring. About to start on her latest novel hope she is back on form.
on 20 March 2005
Whenever a new Penny Vincenzi comes out I lose a weekend, totally engrossed in it and the good news is she's done it again.

As usual the plot twists and turns with a mystery at its heart; the fact that I correctly solved the mystery this time by a quarter the way through in no way spoilt my enjoyment. Finding out if I was right and how it would unfold made for compelling reading.

Lovely intelligent froth and right on form. May you live and write to be 100, Panny.

ETA I've just re-read this, having read and hated the latest book and all has fallen into place for me. It's obvious that there has been a change of editor in the last five years as all the things that have irritated me in the last couple of novels are missing.

A plea to you and your publishers, Penny, please bring back your old editor, their skills enhanced your books immeasurably.
on 23 March 2013
Sheer Abandon was one of my favourite books by penny. The book was ever so long but it was unput downable. I have read a few books by penny, another woman, outrageous affair, Almost a crime. An absoloute scandle, Wicked, all so good. Now i find penny's books a bit to long for me. But i noticed penny has a short hard book out so i am going to buy that. As penny never fails a good juicy story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 September 2008
In the end I decided the book was rather frantic - one minute you were being asked to accept something was exciting and wonderful and then you had to discard that notion. Any sequel might again be a farce like run of misunderstandings and secrets - however, it is absorbing and does keep you riveted, just perhaps not very worthwhile!