Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

on 3 April 2015
Love penny bought this on kindle started reading it realised I'd read it before. None the less great book
on 2 May 2017
Excellent book I couldn't put it down.
on 6 March 2015
Great read, didn't want to put it down. Loved the way the characters developed.
Love reading Penny Vincenzi, keep up the excellent work please
on 11 August 2005
Sadly, I have to concur with the previous two negative reviews. Whilst I couldn't say that the book is a total bore, unlike any of Penny Vincenzi's previous books, it totally failed to engage me. The characterisation was a confusing hotch-potch of British politics (yawn), unlikely foreys into journalism and medicine. None of the characters were remotely believable. Nor likeable for that matter. Throughout the whole book I had the feeling that the author really didn't have a clue where she would go with this story. As one reviewer commented, the whole caboodle could have been written in two A 4 pages.
What a very, VERY odd book from such an accomplished story teller. If you find it cheaply in a boot sale and you are planning a long reading period due to enforced confinement - go for it. Otherwise, don't bother. Buy all of her other books instead, though!! Now those are truly EXCELLENT reads.
on 23 June 2007
I have read all Penny's books and loved them all but this one. Normally her books leave me not wanting to put them down but unfurtunately I found this hard to pick up.I think it was plainly obvious from the onset who the father was and found the book quite boring. About to start on her latest novel hope she is back on form.
on 20 March 2005
Whenever a new Penny Vincenzi comes out I lose a weekend, totally engrossed in it and the good news is she's done it again.

As usual the plot twists and turns with a mystery at its heart; the fact that I correctly solved the mystery this time by a quarter the way through in no way spoilt my enjoyment. Finding out if I was right and how it would unfold made for compelling reading.

Lovely intelligent froth and right on form. May you live and write to be 100, Panny.

ETA I've just re-read this, having read and hated the latest book and all has fallen into place for me. It's obvious that there has been a change of editor in the last five years as all the things that have irritated me in the last couple of novels are missing.

A plea to you and your publishers, Penny, please bring back your old editor, their skills enhanced your books immeasurably.
on 23 March 2013
Sheer Abandon was one of my favourite books by penny. The book was ever so long but it was unput downable. I have read a few books by penny, another woman, outrageous affair, Almost a crime. An absoloute scandle, Wicked, all so good. Now i find penny's books a bit to long for me. But i noticed penny has a short hard book out so i am going to buy that. As penny never fails a good juicy story.
on 7 November 2006
I think Ms Vincenzi is a great storyteller, but this wasn't her greatest story. It would have been a better story if the characters 'who dunnit' had actually been allowed to face up to the fall out from their actions. I think the way the storyline went was a bit of a cop out. It's a long book and the reader deserves a better ending.
on 7 April 2005
I always buy a Penny Vincenzi as soon as it comes out. She is a brilliant writer, develops the characters to the degree that you would think you actually know them yourself. The twists and turns throughout the book make for very stimualting reading, it can seem daunting to face 632 pages but they fly by ... if you fancy a good read this is the book for you.
For what it is worth I have only given this book 4 starts instead of 5 because I felt some of the plot lines were too predictable - make no mistake though it is still a good read.
on 11 January 2010
Having read a number of Vincenzi's novels and thoroughly enjoyed them, I was extremely disappointed to wade my way through this tiresome and predictable novel. Most irritating was the regular political right wing bias that ran throughout the text. It was so obvious and not balanced with any counter argument at all. I think it was the author's eargerness to ram the bias home that wrecked what might have been at best a mediocre work.