Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

The whole concept of "animal whispering" relates to a way of working with an animals natural instincts to create harmony and balance. Graeme's book is a very valuable and useful book if you wish to work more effectively with your dog. However as someone trained in the system developed by Jan Fennel this book does not guide you in how to work with your dog's wolf essence. I have been using Jan's methods for a while now and by combining them with Cesar Millan's work have found profound change in my own dog as well as those who I work with as a professional trainer. Whilst this book falls short in the area of a dog's real nature it does provide some useful tips and ideas.
on 25 March 2008
Rarely have I come across such an easy to read and friendly book. This advice is written for all dog owners - it is not pompous or done in a talking down manner. I found the book easy to read and informative. As the vast majority of people do not study dog behaviour, this is an insight into just that. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand their dog or who is a dog lover to start with. The illustrations are delightful. I found this book hard to put down.

This is a must for all dog owners and dog lovers out there.
on 29 May 2011
im just over half way through the book, but finding it boring. I was hoping to find more detailed information about problem solving but no luck so far, just a couple of tips.
on 15 February 2010
If your dog pulls on the lead and you're looking for some practical tips on how to train it, this book is NOT for you. It is more a collection of anecdotes about the author's life working with sheep dogs. A more fitting (or less misleading) title would be 'The Dog Whisperer: My lifetime working with dogs'. In fairness, if you have never owned a dog, this book may be a useful read before you take the plunge, as it might make you think twice about which breed fits best to your lifestyle/family. It may also help you avoid making some of the obvious puppy training errors, but these topics are covered in nearly every dog training book out there. I have no knowledge of horses but I found Monty Roberts' The Man who Listens to Horses a cracking good read, basically because he has led such an interesting life and the book was well written - 'The Dog Whisperer' sadly isn't in the same league, so it falls down on both counts.
on 27 August 2015
Bought more than once and got his other books. Very impressed with his ethics underlying his training techniques, very impressed with advice. Particularly good buy. Bought it for friends too.
on 9 April 2008
Anyone who works with, lives with, and cares about dogs will enjoy and learn from this book. It is informative, entertaining, and real in that the author does not pretend to have always got everything right. It has humility and humour, and a great deal of wisdom.
on 23 May 2008
Graeme Sims places himself in the position of being able to see himself in the role of the dog, rather than the owner, and shows how, with sufficient patience and care a bond can be established between two entirely different species which can bring with it a lifetime of pleasure and understanding for both owner and dog.

Graeme Sims knows his dogs and much can be learned from reading his book, in particular should you be thinking of taking on a puppy from a working breed.

The Dog Whisperer should be read by every dog owner for it is impartial , making no exaggerated claims and could go a long way to helping you understand how your dog thinks,

I found the chapter dealing with rescue dogs and the one on vets , extremely good , and typical of my own experiences during my years as an R.S.P.C.A. warden.

Rex Harper M.B.E. auther of An Otter on the Aga.
on 25 April 2008
This book was pleasent to read, and I found some very interesting points made thoughout. Much of it was the author relating his experiences of his dogs and how he has strived to gain mutual understanding with them. But I was not always sure what he was trying to convey and often found myself left with more questions than answers about how I could use what he was trying to say.
on 17 May 2008
I have just got myself a hound and its my first dog and I have now read this book for the second time and I am a much happier human being and will undoubtedly have a much more contented dog because of it.

As a teacher here in the countryside I couldn't help seeing so many parallels with humans and dogs. I have recently had a student teacher come up and ask for some advice about working in a tough ole boarding school environment. I directed him in the usual directions, offered websites, reading material.... and also gave him a copy of this book. He looked mildly surprised but he came back to me today and told me he could completely understood why I gave it him and it was the most useful of all the aides I'd given him....funny that.
The thing is Sims seems to have an approach to all things that is centred around patience, care and love. He reenforces these things constantly and seems to 'invite' the dogs to do things rather than bark orders and use force. He is not either suggesting that it will be a short road without a lot of work; its time consuming and requires effort but the rewards are well worth it.
Get this if you want to read a witty, touchingly sentimental, practical and rewarding book that will help you train your dog. Also though, its a superb read for those without a four legged friend; it tells us how much things can be achieved with a healthy dose of tolerance, compassion and time....two books in one. A Bargain.
on 28 December 2008
A pleasant enough and easy, humorous read. However NOT a training or behaviour book by any stretch of the imagination. Advising any new dog owner to refrain from starting to train their puppy until 6 months of age is at best old fashioned & at worst it could store up all sorts of potential problems. The author has also failed to realise the 'socialising window' for new puppies and advises leaving pups in the litter until 12 weeks old minimum - disastrous advice !