on 30 April 2007
We had a New Year resolution to cook homemade curry once a week and every recipe I have tried works and is really tasty. You might think Indian cookery is complicated, but even the mango chutney recipe is straight forward. Top cookbook.
on 1 October 2003
This marvelous book is not split into typical starter / main / dessert sections, but rather into sections based on mood, inclination and available time and effort. The recipes are clear and easy to follow. The beautiful Anjum Anand guides you effortlessly through dishes that you will not find in an Eastern restaurant and low fat & healthy too. Full marks, Anjum. I can't wait for your first television show.
on 9 May 2006
This tends to be simpler than restaurent curries but still full of flavour. Ms Anand is not a vegitarian but her vegitable and lentil dishes are very good indeed. In restaurents the vegitable dishes are just side dishes to have with the meat. Her dishes stand up on their own. I commend this book to any curry cook.
on 24 July 2003
This wonderful book is a great buy, whether you're drawn by the Indian recipes, or the fact that it's low-fat cooking. All the recipes that I have cooked so far taste amazing, and you certainly couldn't say that the reduction of fat has led to any kind of reduction in flavour - in fact you can enjoy them all the more, knowing that the food isn't swimming in fat, but is still authentic!
At first glance, the ingredients lists might seem off-puttingly long, but the majority are based around common ingredients such as onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and tomatoes, plus the individual spices you need to characterise each dish (the majority of which are available from any supermarket, so you don't have to go traipsing off on a special shopping expedition before you can start cooking).
Some of my favourite recipes so far include the crispy little Pea-filled Potato Cakes, the very moreish Corn with Coconut, and the truly delicious White Cheese in a Creamy Tomato Sauce (there's a recipe for home-made paneer in the book, which is dead simple to make). Side dishes such as Tangy Tomato Rice are good enough to serve on their own, and I've had great fun making flatbreads such as roti and paratha. The recipes range from the familiar such as Chicken Tikka Kebab or Lamb Biryani, to the more traditional such as Uppma (a wonderful spicy semolina-based dish which was a revelation), and there are plenty of vegetarian dishes to choose from, as well as desserts and traditional Indian chutneys and relishes to complete your meal if you want to go the whole hog.
What I really like about this book is that although the recipes are authentic, they are written in such a way as to suggest how to incorporate them in day-to-day living, with many "Western" serving suggestions, so you don't feel that you would have to slave over a stove for hours to prepare a complete Indian banquet - hence the Indian Every Day title I suppose.
on 5 August 2003
The book brings to life a mouthwatering array of flavours and exotic spices.
The recipes are so straightforward and easy to follow, and above all so healthy and light, I could eat it everyday.
I do not ever need to visit an Indian restaurant again.
This book gives me the opportunity to create the magic in my own kitchen!!
Truly Sensational!
on 13 June 2003
If you love Indian food but have to give at least a passing thought to its effect on your waistline, then this book is for you! But equally, if you don't give two hoots about the fat content, but still love Indian food, don't be put off buying this book precisely because it is "healthy" - the recipes taste so great that you don't need to wory about anything else. These are authentic Indian recipes that the author adapted to cut down the fat in order to lose weight herself - not just another cookery book gimmick.
I have to confess to a slight bias, in that I was involved in working on this book (I prepared all the food for the photos), but it was one of the most pleasurable and interesting jobs I have done. I've always loved cooking Indian food, but never liked the huge quantities of oil used in many recipes, so this book was a revelation, and is in constant use at home already (which I couldn't say about many of the other publications I've worked on).
Inevitably, as with many Indian recipes, the ingredients lists look pretty long and off-putting due to the individual spices used, but once you have built up a store of basic spices (almost all of which are available from any supermarket), then apart from standard ingredients such as onions, chillies, ginger, garlic and tomatoes, each recipe requires only a few other main ingredients, so they are much quicker and easier to prepare than it might appear at a first glance. While a few of the recipes use unfamiliar ingredients such as dudhi, lotus root, drumsticks and colocasia, the majority use "everyday" meat, vegetables and pulses, so you don't need to seek out an Indian shop every time you cook from this book (although I would recommend it simply in order to try some of the unusual vegetables - plus your regular veg and spices will be a whole lot cheaper!)
There isn't a single recipe from this book that I've cooked and not liked, so it's hard to choose favourites. However, I would have to include Uppma (semolina pilaff - this was a revelation!), Pea-filled Potato Cakes, Simply Spiced Spinach; Corn with Coconut (very quick and oh-so-moreish); Six Veg & a Couple of Rolls (a Bombay street food of mashed curried vegetables on rolls - sounds odd but tastes amazing!); White Cheese in a Creamy Tomato Sauce (uses home-made paneer which really is very easy to make); Classic Chicken Curry; Chickpea Curry; Mangalorian Fish Curry (a truly delicious sauce based on tomato, red chillies and coconut); Aloo Gobi (potato and cauliflower); Tangy Tomato Rice, all of the Dal recipes; and Indian Rice Dreams in the desserts chapter (sounds naff, tastes great). Plus there are lots of recipes for accompanying chutneys, breads etc.
What are you waiting for???
on 9 May 2010
I adore cooking Indian food and am a great fan of Madhur Jaffrey but I was really impressed with Anjum's book, which is perhaps a little more modern than some of Madhur's.

I love the hints and tips provided and Anjum isn't afraid to use shortcuts such as ginger or garlic paste from a tube, which is so much quicker than preparing one's own.

The best thing, however, is that you get all the flavour of Indian food without all the fat, which many people can't stomach these days.

The recipes are easy to follow, quick and don't contain too many ingredients so even a complete novice can follow them.

I'm looking forward to getting some more of Anjum's books!
on 4 April 2009
This book is full of simple and easy indian food. I have only two cookbooks on my shelf that have never failed me, this is one of them - every recipe I've tried from Indian Every Day has worked, and has got me to the stage where an indian restaurant needs to be exceptional for me to prefer eating out to eating in!
Can't recommend it enough :-)
on 14 January 2011
I find Anjum Anand's recipes very good and easy to follow. Particularly useful is her recipe for 'Everyday Curry Paste' which I make in large quantities and then freeze in ice-cube boxes. I then use two or three of the cubes at a time, adding different fresh spices to ring the changes in my curries.
on 11 April 2009
Although I am a Malaysian Ceylonese, I tend to cook more Chinese, Continental and I love Italian cooking (thanks to Jamie Oliver for introducing me to it). I always left the Indian cooking to my mum and the numerous restaurants in Malaysia. I have bought 3 of Anjum's books and have tried many of her recipes which have all tasted delicious. Her ingredients are easily available (except grated coconut)in Switzerland and I will continue to try more of her recipes out. Thank you Anjum!