Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2007
This is the first book by Jude Morgan that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although it would be easy to lump this with other Regency set "romances" it is a definite cut above the rest,the humour is gentle but with an edge as is the heroine. Again unlike many other books set in this period the heroine is careful of her virtue because she knows the cost of loosing it.

I thought the sense of time and place was spot on, none of the usual lift the skirt and find a chav underneath nonsense.

The closest "if you like..." comparison I could make is to Georgette Heyer (whom I love) and have been trying to find her equal for many years without success. After this Jude Morgan has to be in the running.
on 1 February 2008
A witty, energetic and superb read. I loved every page of this book I felt that my romantic heart was satisfied without comprimising my need for good literature - if you catch my drift. The characters were well defined and the dialogue an absolute joy. Also some of the descriptions were absolutely beautiful especially one regarding a winter morning. I will definitely seek out other work by this author.
on 12 June 2007
Fabulous book. I purchased by accident (liked the cover) and realised I had already read and enjoyed Passion.

It starts of a little slow but picks a pace that you really dont want to stop. This book very much reminded me of Bronte both Emma and Pride and Prejudice. The characters in the book are very clearly defined so you dont get bamboozled into meeting 100's of people. But equally this is not a speed read (as I normally do) you have to concentrate. Caroline and Stephen are both so very likable, you can't help yourself. Lovely book!
on 23 June 2005
'Indiscretion' is witty, observant and well written. Its characters are sometimes predictable but that contributes to their charm as you easily feel comfortable, laugh and rage with and at them in turn. If, like me, you aren't suprised at who ends up with who, I don't think you will care but turn back to page one and start again (just to make sure!) Anyone who loves Elizabeth Gaskell, E.M. Forster, Tracy Chevalier etc. will love this book.
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2006
I agree with the previous reviewer - this is a very nicely written book. It was a bit slow to start, and I was beginning to think 'Oh get on with it', and she did - get on with it that is. I was reminded at some level of Austin's Emma, nothing specific, maybe her depiction of quiet rural life. Being a reader of regency romance from a variety of authors, this is a more carefully crafted and detailed book than most of the standard titled rake meets spirited virgin/widow who fall in lurve despite the obstacles placed in their way - these were ordinary people. I found I had to read this with more care than I give to many books - and the book rewarded that care. I will be looking out for this author's other work, and loaning my copy to the trusted few I know will give it back!
on 17 June 2009
I found this book to be really well written despite the fact that its easy to guess the ending. The characters were all extremely likable or amusing with echoes of pride and prejudice. The story takes place in 19th century England and is about the life of main character Caroline; following her employment and life in society.
If you are looking for any other books from this author it may be helpful to know that Jude Morgan is one of two pseudonyms used by Hannah March along with Tim Wilson. March has books published under all three names.
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2006
Having bought this book for my teenage daughter when she decided to try adult fiction, I decided to give it a try myself.

I'm now a convert to Jude Morgan and have already bought "Passion" to read next.

Caroline Fortune's rise from impoverished middle/upper class, to a well provided future is entertaining and I especially enjoyed the character of Stephen.

I would also recommend Julie Garwood's "The Bride" and "The Wedding" if you enjoyed this book.
on 27 June 2015
This was a nicely written book, but with an exceedingly slow start, and despite being entertaining I felt it had too many similarities to Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice in particular,
on 25 June 2013
Of a much higher quality than most of the genre. I'll be rereading this like I do Heyer's books. I look forward to reading her other titles.
on 18 December 2015
I love this book and on this occasion purchased as a gift.