Customer reviews

on 8 May 2017
I have yet to be disappointed with the Stephanie Plum books. They are laugh out loud entertainment . This one is no exception and I plan to read them all
on 27 July 2017
Typical Plum novel.
on 30 May 2017
Excellent fun, love these books.
on 5 April 2017
good quality
on 6 July 2004
Ten Big Ones, the tenth novel in the Stephanie Plum series , is yet another funny, action packed and fast paced ride on the wild side.Unfortunately Ten Big Ones does not measure up to earlier efforts by Janet Evanovich, and in my opinion it is too short and even though the ending is very interesting, it seemed awfully rushed to me.Ranger, the best character in the Plum novels, is not in the book for close to 150 pages whereas Lula and Stephanie are left to carry the story along.The villains are good and Morelli is coming on nicely but Ten Big Ones is not a great novel.Hard Eight, in my estimation the best Stephanie Plum novel to date has all the elements Ten Big Ones is lacking;Lots of Ranger, mysterious plotlines and not stupid forced laughs, bundles of Albert Kloughn and the characters each get a fair share of the narrative.Ten Big Ones is a funny, light read but isn't the best Plum novel.I hope Metro Girl, the new Evanovich franchise will be more exciting than Ten Big Ones...
After finding "To the Nines" to be an almost perfect Plum, I was wondering how Ms. Evanovich could hope to match that wonderful book. You may recall that I found the mystery of "To the Nines" a little too easy to solve in the last 60 pages. I am delighted to report that Ms. Evanovich has written a perfect Plum this time. What an accomplishment!
To be this good, Ms. Evanovich must have gone back and examined every review she has ever received . . . and looked for ways to improve her writing.
Ten Big Ones has generous doses of all your favorite characters form the earlier books including Grandma Mazur, Lula, Morelli, Ranger, Connie, Valerie, Albert Kloughn, her Mom and Dad, and Sally Sweet . . . along with delightful cameos by such stalwarts as Vinnie Plum, the usual eye-rolling members of the Trenton PD, and Ranger's crew.
Ten Big Ones has more bounty hunts in it than ever before, and Stephanie plays a more complete role in trying to solve everyone's problems . . . not just bring in a felon for a body receipt.
Cars play a big role. There's romance. There's action. There's threat. There's family drama. It's marvelous!
Unlike other books in the series, you could begin with this one and still understand what is going on with few problems. The opening has a wonderful reintroduction of Stephanie and her life. But this book is so good, it will spoil you for the others. So please go back and start with One for the Money if you haven't read the others.
This book builds around being in the wrong place at the wrong time . . . and lets events develop from there.
Unlike many of the other books in the series, this one seems to have a more serious theme: What is the correct role for a single woman in a dangerous, demanding society? Stephanie craves the action, doesn't want to be "protected" too much . . . but does want to survive the experience. She's also torn in other ways, and the emotional development of her personality is quite interesting in this book.
But the humor is what I liked best about the book. The characterizations and descriptions are wonderful for adding to that humor.
I thought that the comic elements of the scenes were beautifully constructed. Each scene was more complex than I expected, and the complexity left a reward of a more detailed understanding of the characters as well as heartier laughs along the way. No one does comedy better!
As I finished the book, I realized that there's more than one way to get things done. But we do need to be persistent . . . so that eventually we get our man or woman!
on 10 August 2004
Although "Ten Big Ones" is an entertaining enough light read, it is not nearly as good as the other books in the series. One of the pleasures of the Stephanie Plum series, is that you know exactly what to expect when you start reading one. Although all the usual characters are there, it doesn`t have as many laughs as the other books, and at the end left me thinking, "Is that it." I would still recommend fans to read it, but I do wonder how much longer the series can continue, especially to keep to the standard of the first nine books.
on 13 July 2004
I couldn't wait to read this book and overall I wasn't disappointed. I have to say it's not the best Stephanie Plum adventure, but it's right up there with the best of them. I laughed from the beginning, fom gentle chuckles to laugh-out- loud, crying laughter! Stephanie finds herself in a whole heap of trouble through bad luck and bad timing, as usual, and the book just got better and better for me the more I read. All the favourites are there - Grandma Mazur, Lula,Albert Kloughn & Valerie... and Sally Sweet pops back up driving a school bus and provides some great comedy moments - especially when he's trying to stop swearing because the kids are getting into trouble at school for using bad language!Having Stephanie hiding out at Ranger's flat (without permission!)was a great touch - I was turning every page hoping that this would be the page for him to catch her red-handed.
My only real downside to number 10 was not enough Ranger, which is why I gave 4 stars and not 5, but overall I loved this and will re-read it again and again as I do the others and feel sure all Plum fans won't be disappointed.