on 29 October 2015
A very good coaching book - the thing I like about this book is that it is written in a very coach friendly way - it doesn't have page after page of coaching drill pictures that you find in other books (these can be good, but also confusing). This book is more advisory and developmental than providing a list of drill after drill - it gives you tips and methods for structuring your coaching and how to encourage your players to stop and think for themselves. The book does concentrate on coaching (at coaching sessions) rather than setting up the team for the game - I would have liked to have seen a section called "Match Day" or something which helps inexperienced coaches like me prepare for matches - I am still looking for a text which gives guidance on that subject! I really like the way the book feels almost handwritten - it looks a lot less commercial than polished than many other book, however - it flows through a set of thoughts, challenges and hand drawn drills - you could imagine the author having a version of this book on a notepad...- the format works for me!
on 2 August 2016
A really over rated and poorly formatted book. Its so basic and outdated that it's no wonder England is so far behind in its coaching. Even when this book was written, it was 10 years behind! The stop start method deprives kids of thinking on their own and developing into better players. There are much better methods out there...
on 4 October 2013
As a newly qualified coach I had been looking for some new learning material for inspiration for my coaching. This book was a real surprise, lots of good drills and sessions. What I really like is its ability to push me as a coach to understand how best to deliver a session. I've tried many of the drills with my Under 8's and they always react really well. Have now purchased this book for a second time after someone stole my first copy - that's how worthwhile it is. Have also just got a copy of Richards latest book about coaching mini soccer and that looks like its going to be as good as this one!
on 3 January 2018
Happy with this product, some goo tips for coaching. recommend
on 18 April 2018
Not as good as volume 2 but still useful.
on 14 February 2017
Great thank you
on 11 September 2013
My husband loves this book. He manages as under 11s team and he says it gives him some great ideas for activities to do with the lads.
on 15 March 2018
Great read for anyone starting of coaching children's football.
Full of valuable information to get started coaching.
on 27 August 2015
Very informative. A great guide for any football coach. Full of great drills for all aspects of football.
on 6 September 2013
Although I am now 69, I have become a manager of my grandson's under 9 team, I have found the book very useful, and the service prompt.