Puck Of Pook's Hill
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2013
I like Kipling. He writes in quite a fresh style, keeps things moving and does not use words for he sake of it, despite writing around 100 years ago.
This book, intended I guess for children, is really a kind of historical novel about a place in the south of England, hung on the idea of an ancient 'fairy' that introduces the story windows.
The only thing that modern readers may well stumble over is a curious story about the influence of Jews in the reign of King John. It reflects the ideas of some people in Kipling's time that the Jews somehow controlled the power of the nations through gold. An idea that has lead to some terrible persecution. It is interesting to hear what he says but maybe not an idea you want to impart to your children.
11 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2017
Oh I love this book! I had a copy as a child - which was a horribly long time ago - and mislaid it somewhere along the way. When I settled down with this I remembered just what fun and how well written it was.
For a child who is really interested in the written word, this book is a must.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2014
Two children meet Puck (the fairy from Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night's Dream) and, by magic, they meet characters from different historical periods, who recount their adventures. These are not famous people, but, for example, a Roman soldier fighting at Hadrian's Wall, or a knight battling against Vikings. I found the stories engaging, but to enjoy them you do need to know some British history (and I resorted to googling for information at times!) Consequently, although this was clearly written as a children's story, I suspect only adults would enjoy it these days. An added bonus are Kipling's own verses at the start of each chapter.
on 2 January 2017
A well-known classic which brought history to life for so many. The interpretation of history changes radically, as, mercifully, do attitudes to Jews - Kipling comes off badly here.

But what was disappointing was the format. Someone has clearly taken an early edition of the book, scanned it, and poured it into a page size that it doesn't fill properly. Very shoddy and cheapjack work.
on 18 August 2015
Not the writing - that goes without saying, but the publishing quality of the book is bad, really bad.
Tiny print huddles off center and the cover image is stretched to fit. Woeful. Cheap yes, I brought a bundle to give away to grandchildren who have never had the delight of this wonderful story.
Whoever type set this book should learn how.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 March 2017
Read this book years ago and reading it again recently found it captivating. For anyone with a love of history and very creative writing it is a must. I'll be reading it again .
on 13 April 2018
I loved it as a child and bought it for my grandson. He is enjoying it too.
on 23 June 2013
I first read this book as a child and I'm sure it's inspired a lot of my own writing.

Despite Kipling's Victorian attitudes, it's still a book full of magic and interest and is based in part on many of the old British folk tales and mythology that so many people have now forgotten.
on 16 January 2015
A spice of magic woven into a tale for children - delicious book, a long-term favourite, as is most of Kipling's work for me.
on 6 January 2017
A charming book of short children's stories.