on 9 August 2012
I have not read the book yet and am looking forward to reading it.

I would however like to point out that the publication date has been put back so many times that it has possibly been rushed through the printing process or put together by people who don't known the true colours of the artworks or cared.

This is the second book I have recently seen with what appears to be back to front pictures. Edward Burne-Jones "The Doom Forfilled " is I believe the wrong way round; Andromeda is to the right. Every picture I have seen including the one at the Southampton Gallery she is to the left. Are there others? I don't know.

It may be my copy, but some pictures seem to be overly pink or red. Blushing is one thing, but some of the models appear to be having allergic reactions or very embarrassed. Some appear fine, but I have lost my faith in the truthfulness of the printing.

The other irritating thing is the cropping of the pictures. Arthur Hughes's Orphelia has part of the semi circle of the picture cut off, just enough to be wrong. There are other off set and poorly composed photographs, Masacccio's Madonna is off centre, its really poor cropping and should have been rejected.

Ruskin used to check the quality of the prints before allowing publication, don't look for the same ethos here.

I did think about sending it back and asking for a different copy, but I assume I would only get another copy from the same job lot.

Considering the afore-mentioned I would not describe the gallery as stunning, well not in the way they want you to believe. I think publishers are starting to treat the Pre-raphaelites like the cash cow that is the impressionists.

On a positive note the publisher has an ethical trading policy and I have seen some pictures that are new to me.

Overall I am just left unsure as to whether I am looking at accurate representations. My first impressions of the gallery are a little disappointed to say the least.

The read looks good and I will update my review when read.
on 12 March 2013
This is as fine a collection as one could wish for : if you have a favourite it will be in here. The narrative is excellent without being too wordy.
on 12 December 2013
I bought this because I love this period. I have three prints of Opheila by different Pre-Raphaelites in my living room. I really would like a book that has ALL the paintings of all the group in one book, but this is a nice book to look at.
on 20 April 2013
nice coverage of artists and reporoduction is ok, only comment i would make is it can not compare to other large format art publications
on 19 May 2014
Very good value publication with lots and lots of images of good quality. Excellent resource for people wanting to have to hand a comprehensive collection of Pre-Raphaelite images to study and enjoy.
on 23 October 2014
This is a lovely book . Quality paper. . Quality illustrations . I don't know how this is produced at such a reasonable price. An absolute bargain.
on 20 November 2013
I purchased this book because I have a love for the pre-Raphaelite artwork. the photos were stunning,and I really loved this book
on 7 August 2014
Book is packed full of good information
on 12 May 2016
A wonderful book about these beautiful people. Such an interesting read about a pivotal moment in our art history. I can't put it down and wish I had been part of their movement.
on 13 July 2015
I bought this book as I'm studying the Pre-Raphaelites in my art class I found it fascinating and extremely interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone.