on 20 October 2012
I gave the book 3* although its nicely produced ( hardback, plenty of appetising photos, clear instructions of cooking), however some recipies are incorrectly made and some for example of popular,tasteful polish dishes are missing.Where are for example very nice pulpety ( meatbals) in mushroom sauce..or lovely rice or noodle and tomato soup?where is zurek soup with white sausage ( white borscht with marjoram and potatoes),herrings in olive oil or single cream,famous golabki in cabbage leaves ( pigeons with mince meat), vegetable salad nowhere to see or famous yummy traditional crust ( faworki).AS for potatoes pancakes we dont put sour cream inside of the pancake , rather on top after frying, or simply add some sugar on top, and breadcrambs go inside the pancakes rather than outside.The one and very tasty dish: baby potatoes with butter and freshly cut dill and sour cream/milk is missing to.These are dishes very tasteful and easy to make but absent in this cookery book.I understand that the book covers not only dishes from one country but from the whole region of Central and Eastern Europe and the book cannot contain to many recipies , plus I have an opportunity to cook some new to me recipies from other parts of Europe, however being Polish I never heard of Apricot Treat or Baked Coffie Custard( we do coffie custard but it isnt something I believe worth of putting into such lovely cookery book)or Herring Pate'.Overall , the book is ok.I will use it to try to cook Hungarian Spicy Goulash : )
3 people found this helpful
on 4 February 2010
Having bought separate books on Polish and Russian cookery many years ago, and finding them very uninspiring, I decided to give this book a try. I am so glad I did! The numerous photographs make the recipes look appetising, the instructions are easy to follow and the opening of Eastern European delis throughout the UK over recent years, makes it possible to buy authentic ingredients.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2012
Well written and easily understandable receipies that are clear and precis. Ingredients can be obtained in most shops in the UK. Cooking just like I remembered my Mother cooking for the family, brings back lots of good memories.
on 10 June 2016
Very good book
on 10 September 2009
I borrowed a previous version of this book from a Latvian professional cook and have been trying to get hold of the book for myself ever since, so I was delighted to find this newly published version. I gave a recipe for sauerbraten to my sister who has lived in central Germany for over 25 years and had never before managed to find one. Her son who is living with us at the moment enjoyed the plum streusel, so I've made several batches of the plum filling for the freezer. What I particularly like is that these recipes are authentic, not anglicised versions of the real thing. The instructions are clear and all the recipes I've tried actually work, which is more than you can say for many cookery books! An added extra is the introduction to each section with a very brief history and background to the region's food. Highly recommended.
5 people found this helpful