on 4 November 2017
useful book
on 6 July 2015
I have continued to use this book on a regular basis throughout different stages of my research. The case studies and examples provide clear and interesting detail for those people involved in creative research processes for design related subjects. It is suitable for undergraduates as well as post graduate studies.
on 6 September 2013
I was recommended to read this book. The content is good, if only someone had helped the authors to write it better. I found it patronising and turgid in style.
However, the worst thing about it is the text design, after the okay cover, the text design is a crime against publishing. For a book that is intended for designers and artists (i.e. people with a good degree of visual intelligence) the typography is truly hideous. Even more than the poor writing style this makes it unreadable. Shame really.
on 21 April 2010
When I first started my PhD research, I was at a complete loss when it came to articulating and structuring my arts-based research into a format that others would accept. That my research was interdisciplinary (between animation practice and psychology) further compounded my frustration, as I was getting a lot of help on how to conduct and write up scientific research (something I had never done before) but nobody was quite sure how I could take what I did know (digital animation) and use that to construct an appropriate arts-based methodology.

This book was effectively my third PhD supervisor for the first year of my project. Even today I still drop in and out of this book for help. In the last year or two a lot of visual art research books have emerged, which is great for our area of research - but this to me is where creative arts researchers ought to begin. My copy is getting quite worn now, as I've instructed my final year students to read it on a time-share basis as they begin to write up their dissertations!
on 4 August 2009
This is a great book for any practice-based researcher. I'm in the closing stages of a PhD and I really wish I'd read this at the beginning of my research project. The content is comprehensive yet the language is simple. There are numerous examples drawn from already completed practice-based doctoral research. In particular, I found the analogy of a PhD being like an expedition (eg: maps, terrain, rivers, etc) to be very useful. I would certainly recommend this to anybody who is undertaking practice-based research in creative disciplines (especially those in the early stages).
on 5 September 2015
Very useful for a project I am developing.
on 23 November 2014
One of the most concise books in this field of art and design research...written without complex jargon
on 11 March 2014
Good content, rich and well written. Unfortunately the design is poor and does not benefit the reading and retention at all.
A book on visual research should not be so bad as a visual experience.
on 27 December 2014