Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on 31 August 2004
Real history about real people - not a load of dates and politics but a series of first hand accounts of how people actually lived/survived through the second world war.
Moving,funny and thought provoking.A really good read.
on 31 December 2004
This book is a pleasure to read - it deals with a wide range of aspects of daily life as experienced by East Enders during the Second World War. It is written in a way that makes it accessible to everybody - however extensive / limited your prior knowledge of War Time events. It does not bombard you with dates, but rather focuses on the social aspects and daily experiences of these brave souls. An excellent read!
on 5 April 2014
What a thoroughly enjoyable book to a anyone interested in life in wartime Britain. I think we as a whole can tend to overstate this part of our history by making wartime films etc. but the entries in this book puts us straight. We are told that you could leave your house unlocked in those days and trust people, only to read how some unscrupulous folk would think nothing of transacting homes whilst you were in a shelter. Some folk would donate what they could to the needy whilst others would think nothing of buying off a 'spiv' knowing it to be stolen.

I will read this book again at some point because it does transport you into a different world and it does show that we are only human and that we do what we do to survive and look after our own in the most difficult of circumstances.

Well done Gilda O'Neill
on 2 March 2009
This book was a present for a person who lived through the war in the east end and she has said it is an excellent book. I received the book very quickly and it was undamaged
on 24 September 2010
Myself being born during the WWII in a country at war it was really interesting to compare the conditions between GB and Finland. Lots in common,lots different. The first thing jumping into my eyes was the mentioning that despite food rationing there were always sausages to buy. Sausages - an unheard of luxury here! And pig's feet,egg powder - what a feast. I just loved the book.
on 11 December 2015
The usual very high standard of Gilda O'Neill's writing . If you are interested in the history of ordinary working class folk then this is for you
on 4 August 2011
I borrowed this book from my mum for my holiday earlier this year. I didnt begin reading it until the last couple of days and then I couldnt put it down. As described, this doesnt read like a normal book, but by little snippets of people's memories during a hard time. It made me laugh and cry every other page. I really enjoyed this book. Am going to buy My East End for my next hols in Sept.
on 21 March 2016
Great reading and a great insight to their hard life xx
on 30 December 2015
Arrived in good time looking forward to reading this
on 10 January 2015
Superb quality. Very well made.