on 22 July 2016
This book is the second in a series that starts with a book that covers 3500+ years of history of the UK. In comparison this book overs a shorter period of time (175ish years), and is better for it I think. The previous book covered much of the history that any kid would remember from school (i.e. the Roman Invasion to Queen Elizabeth i). This book covers from shortly after her death to the loss of the US colonies and the take over of India.

Because my schoolboy history stops pretty much where the last book ends, I found this book more interesting. It still reads a bit like the "Greatest Hits of British History" inasmuch as he jumps from king to king to king, as if that was the only history that mattered (a grumble I had with the last book too), but because I was less aware of the history, it was more interesting.

The things I did learn focus on quite how much the early empire was held together by chicken wire and duct tape (instead of the many splendoured thing it's presented as in retrospect), and the fact that I suspected in my head that the British were more advanced than the American backwoodsmen that won the War of Independence, when I'm left with the impression now that they weren't.
on 1 April 2014
There is a bit of a story behind this - my boss was due to return back to the USA and we wanted to buy him something to remember the UK by. We agreed on the three volume boxset of Simon Schama's "A History Of Britain". This is VERY difficult to source in Hardback. Long story short, the first two sellers "fialed (non-delivery for the first, no dust-cover on the second) and Sam Books was my third attempt.

I'm please to say that the book was deliver d in pristine condition for a used volume (it did have an "Ex Libris" sticker, but that's not unexpected for used volumes) with excellent "standard Amazon" style packaging.

It took a little longer to arrive that expected - 10 days - the other volumes from two other sellers took 3 days - but the important thing is we know have the full set in hardback.
on 5 August 2017
I bought the first volume and really enjoyed Simon Schama's style and humour. This volume is the same quality wise, but as a hardback copy it is a very heavy tome to support when reading. I would recommend it but on Kindle or paperback
on 12 March 2016
I bought this book for my dad who loves anything about history and he said it was a fantastic book. I believe this was the third in a series and he has all the other books which go before this one and he said they are a fantastic series of books and would highly recommend them.
on 11 October 2007
Although this is the most subjective of the 3 volumes (because it brings us right up to the present day) I found it as absorbing as volumes 1 and 2. You may or may not agree with some of Schama's interpretations, but there's no denying he knows extremely well how to focus on the the driving forces and key events amongst a myriad of facts. This is history 'simplified' indeed, in the most positive sense of the word: understandable, entertaining, and engaging.

Thanks to these books I was eager to learn more about a host of periods, people and events so thank you Simon!
on 25 February 2013
...in the Kindle edition many of the illustrations are illegible, some of them nothing but black rectangles. Thankfully, the text is OK - unusual in my experience of Kindle. Schama is a master, and I'm looking forward to reading Volume 3 - probably the Kindle edition, so more black rectangles no doubt. Does anyone actually check Kindle editions to see whether they're up to standard? It would appear not.
on 29 January 2015
Great book, the second in the series of three, all three need to be read starting with volume one obviously, written for everyone who wishes to know the history of Britain but doesn't want to spend months reading and researching heavy tomes, keep a dictionary handy as there are some words you don't use in daily speech. (If you find the three volumes second hand, check vol.2 has all the pages, starting about 62 to 128approx, I purchased this volume as a replacement for my original which had a missing section).
on 3 February 2018
As a mature student of history this series of books is fantastic
on 3 February 2018
Fantastic reading. Well written and thoroughly enjoyable
on 27 April 2013
If you're a researcher and need to understand the background to the British Civil Wars and the beginnings of the most revolutionary period in Europe, then this is the book for you. Schama's eloquence is impressive; the books in this series are an easy read and just perfect if you need to access this period quickly and competently. I highly recommend the series - tv and literature.