on 5 January 2016
Loved Danny's style and recollections of his childhood.

I'm sure many of us of a similar age will have smiled when he related the tale about caps. As he described it I could smell the gunpowder and see the little circular cardboard container they came in, but until that point I had completely forgotten they existed. Thanks for bringing back that little childhood memory amongst others.

Loved the fact that one of his life changing moments came as he was listening to Elvis Costello's Good Year For The Roses.

A lovely book altogether, but will be particularly amusing to anybody born in the late 50s or early 60s.
on 29 February 2016
I wanted to read this after watching the TV series 'From Cradle to Grave' and I was not disappointed. It is a very entertaining, well written book and contains much more than the TV series. I can't wait to start on volume 2. I am sure that there is a second TV series in there.
Sent with rest of order it was well packaged, timely delivered and a great offer price (3 for £10).
on 2 August 2013
I don't read autobiographies, one long ego trip for the writer, one long yawn for the reader.
EXCEPT (every rule has an exception eh), I love Danny Baker on the radio, was gutted when he quit the breakfast show, mornings just aren't the same (don't know much about his TV career, and NME? Never read it), but he has the most exuberant joyous way with words that - effortlessly it seems - makes everything come alive.
He's not pretentious, is working class and proud of it (from back in the day when working class WAS something to be proud of, not just to be), and from the way he tells it, his life has always been FUN. Which as can been seen in the book is as much about his attitude as about life itself. A lesson for us all. And a fabulous roller-coaster boisterous hilarious heartwarming lesson it is too. It's as unputdownable as any thriller, tmes were, I couldn't stop laughing..
Fabulous.
on 12 March 2018
Brilliant book. Fast paced and full of Danny Baker’s fascinating stories through his early years. Some quite shocking but mostly very funny. If you grew up in the 70’s you’ll identify with many of his tales. Danny Baker has a fantastic way of telling us these stories! Funny.
on 3 April 2018
I downloaded this after watching Cradle to Grave on BBC2. Some of the anecdotes can be read here but the series only covered a short section of the book. I read that a second series will be filmed soon.
I enjoyed reading about Danny's time working in a record shop, working at the NME and his early experiences of TV.
I highly recommend this book.
on 1 March 2013
If you like Danny Baker you will like this book. If you don't, you may struggle with its intense Bakerness and endless tall stories about Baker's apparently endless luck. He was lucky to be born into a time of genuine community in his early life, luck to stumble into work in a record shop when the music industry was still on its uppers, lucky that his talent for being a wisecracking motormouth peaked as that sort of personality was in demand on the burgeoning 'yoof' telly industry. That said, you make your own luck and Baker has plenty of tales to tell and he tells them very well. It is genuinely funny in many places, particularly the early parts detailing his family life in South East London, which I think is the most effective and entertaining part of the book. Indeed, in those parts particualry it makes a fine stable mate for the similar, but infinitely superior 'Bermondsey Boy' by Tommy Steele.
on 6 January 2016
At last a biography of an entertainer that doesn't dwell on there charity work or how hard life has treated them.
It's an honest and refreshing memory of how life was for the majority in working class areas back then, Its full of humour with a lot of cracking anecdotes, you must have a heart of stone if you do not find this book entertaining and enjoyable.
on 25 January 2014
Danny is a local boy done good, and I enjoyed the references to places that are near us and I related to them, indulging myself in a little trip down memory lane. South London is not the most beautiful place in the world - and it's great when one of us 'makes it'.
He's always been on the tv and radio as far as I can recall but it was great fun reading about how he made those contacts in the first place. Just a cheeky chappie straight out of school - and already rubbing shoulders with rock stars. A good read - can't wait for the next installment.
on 3 November 2013
Best autobiography I`ve read in a long time. So funny I laughed out loud more than once. Nice to read about someone totally not up his own back side. No talk of being on a journey, no horrendous childhood to go on about, no depressing sad stories of growing up. Just pure well told anecdotes. I especially enjoyed the bit about being David Essex`s brother. After seeing the pics at the back of book I can sort of see how people fell for that one! As for the stories about the record shop, they had me reminiscing when you could go into one and listen to a record in a booth. Could go on about this book all day long(as I did at work while reading it). I was sorry when I got to the end and I was chuffed to read he`s going to do a follow up book. Can`t wait. Favourite book of the year by far. Going to read it again after a suitable break. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants a laugh at times that have long gone. God bless you Mr. Baker, you`re a star.
on 31 December 2012
This kicks all other auto-biogs far far into touch. The sheer number and quality of meaty, juicy, action and fun-packed anecdotes and stories (page after page after page) crammed in here puts other celebs dull auto-biogs to shame - and makes you wonder how they sell the things. Many many of said celebs are in this biog anyway due to Baker's unrivalled career amongst the stars. You won't need to bother with other auto-biogs after this. The best and funniest heart-warming read I have ever undertaken and, my lord, how I long for the next installment.
Love you Candy Man! Peter