on 15 April 2017
i like some of the recipes but the writing font is awful, some words are just plain difficult to read! such a pity. also some of the recipes - many in fact - are way too plain and by no means what he would find suitable to serve up. i expected better.
on 26 July 2017
Great cookbook but I'd prefer a few more photographs
on 5 April 2017
Superb book, couldnt be happier
on 17 August 2017
Fanastc book
on 16 January 2015
This is the first book I have purchased from this author and it is ok. The beginning of the book bored me and I did think that I might have to return for a refund. However as I plodded through the recipes improved and I thought ok it's worth keeping. I purchased this in the Kindle format for under £3 and for that price it's worth it.

I've given this 3 stars because of the lack of pictures-there are hardly many and I feel it is an imperative aspect to a good cookbook. I've also given it 3 stars because the first part of the book was uninspiring to me.
on 8 September 2014
Not enough photos. Was very disappointed. Don't think I've tried any of the recipes yet as without the pictures it doesn't really inspire you.
on 29 March 2013
I don't think a lot of love or attention went into this book - perhaps it was produced quickly for Christmas or something (it was a Christmas present from someone, in my case). There are hardly any pictures of the food to inspire you, just pics of Michel Roux himself in M&S shirts, quaffing wine! I mean I like the man, but I'd rather see the food. Even more annoying is the fact that there is a lovely picture of a lemony dessert, but then there's no recipe for it! I have made 2-3 nice dishes from it to be fair, but the book could be so much better. Save your cash and go online instead onto the Masterchef website or BBCGoodfood.com.
on 22 June 2015
The recipes and concept of this book is solid, however the book is littered with spelling mistakes, incorrect page references and often huge gaps in the recipe process. I've found myself filling in a lot of the gaps myself, but can't help feeling frustrated by how rushed this book feels. Some recipes are quite complex, yet lack any detail in relation to process.
on 10 August 2012
I bought this for my other half who is a keen cook and became interested in Michel Roux Jr after watching a TV show about his restaurant, Le Gavroche; I know this book is called 'food for your family and friends' so wouldn't necessarily be expecting everything to be cordon bleu, but there are very few unique recipes in here and nothing which we really wanted to try (unlike some recipe books where we can't wait to sample some of the delicious sounding meals); it's almost as if the book was put together in a hurry - sounds odd to mention, but in many of the photos he's wearing the same outfit so it feels really staged (which obviously it is); also quite amusing to read that he apparently 'doesn't court publicity' although he has a number of books and appeared on Master Chef. I am sure he is an excellent chef but this book is disappointing, particularly if you already own another French cook book and don't need another recipe for Coq au Vin by another name.
on 10 January 2011
Bought this for my partner who struggles to boil an egg.Recipes are so simple to follow even my partner has tried a couple with great success.Maybe now thanks to michel roux i can look forward to having a nice meal cooked for me now and then.Would recommend to everyone who thinks they cant cook.
33 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse