Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 March 2013
This is the third book by Jennifer Worth i have read in the last month or so, her books are an absolute must read not only for those interested in the social history of Britain but also those who loved the television show 'call the midwife' ,this book (as the others also do) documents the vibrant,close knit community of London's east end, battered by the war and stricken with poverty. I will say the books (and especially this volume and 'Shadows of the workhouse') are not as sugar coated as the tv show, i found myself moved to tears several times whilst reading this book but Jennifer worth tackles the subject matter covered in her bestsellers in a sensative yet matter of fact manner but at times it left me reeling in disbelief at the extreme hardship and injustice people endured in times gone by. I have enjoyed this series so much i am rather upset i only have one more book to read to complete the series. i would definately say read them all. You will not regret spending the time to take a peek into the bygone times and culture of 1960's post war London life .Thankyou Jennifer Woth for sharing your experiances.
on 9 April 2017
I bought this book because I was interested in finding out more about the social conditions of the working class during the post war period. Obviously the tv series made good viewing - if somewhat over sentimentalised - but the book is better history. It makes one realise that the health service is not a 'given' and must be protected for the future. The other big plus about this book is that although the chapters reflect the episodes of the tv series a much greater depth is reached which allows you to become fond of all the characters be it the midwives, the nuns and indeed the east end community as portrayed in this valuable book.
on 23 February 2014
I am really enjoying reading this book. Great nostalgia, and having grown up in the 40s and 50s I feel I am back in those times. It's good to leave the modern age and go back to the simpler times in life. Though modern technology has done a lot for the labouring woman, they seemed to have done very well in the 40s 50s, and in the 60s when I had my daughter. It was much more of a 'nature' thing then and less of the clinical. Thank you, it definitely earns a 5 star merit.
on 11 November 2016
This book, like all Jennifer's books, is really good, it is funny, sad, interesting and tells us of a time now long since gone before people could scrounge from the welfare state when everyone had to fend for themselves, well worth reading
on 15 December 2013
After the 'Call the midwife' series, Jennifer has gone on to write this epic books which give great insight in to the old London and the way of life. The books allow your mind to work overdrive and make your own visions of the stories within. The way Jennifer wrote these leaves a lot to your imagination. A highly recommended read for anyone.
on 26 February 2015
Im truly going to miss this book, it bought to life community, friendship, everything thats missing in the world today, I feel sad for being too young to have ever known what an amazing time it was back then, yes people struggled but they did it together, Ill definitely be looking for more like this but i doubt any will be quite as touching, very special series of books, was an amazing experience reading them all.
on 17 March 2017
Really enjoyed this book and could relate to it personally as I knew London and the East End in the late fifties and early sixties. My family history also relates very to this area.
on 4 July 2013
What I loved about this book was that we find out what happened to all the characters. As this is real life it's not all zappy endings. The changing nature of the East End is hard on the inhabitants, who'd rather stay in rat and cockroach infested tenements than be split up from their friends, family and even enemies. Jennifer rounds off everyone's story as far as possible and says an emotional goodbye to the people her life as a midwife.
on 1 February 2014
I was first drawn to this because of the TV series, and I am so glad that I read it. There are many similarities with the series, but what comes across more is that this is an absolutely true story, and I loved that. I would fully recommend it - and don't assume that you know the whole story and don't need to buy it just because you've seen it on TV, because there is a lot more to it that that.
on 8 January 2014
I bought the first book for my Kindle and then put off reading it. I now have no idea why as I was still up reading at 4am in a morning as I couldn't put it down. Its beautifully written and (dare I say it as I love the TV show) even better than the programme. I highly recommend this book.