on 13 December 2017
I found the book a bit tedious and the self-pity that oozed through most chapters made me stop reading it half-way though.
on 24 June 2017
Brillient once again
on 5 April 2017
on 17 November 2008
This is Carol Drinkwater's much anticipated sequel to "The Olive Route". It was worth the wait. In this tranche she travels to the western Mediterranean to see for herself the vast array of olive husbandry, from the intensive farming in Spain to attempts to halt the northward march of the Sahara in Algeria. As always, it is the story of the olive told through the people involved in its farming that draws the reader into this odyssey. She does not shy away from describing the disasters as well as the triumphs in her journey. Just the read for winter evenings.
on 25 February 2017
Carole Drinkwater at her best , writing about olive trees , Beautiful Book . I love all the series : Treat yourself to all :
on 1 April 2017
great book
on 25 November 2013
Having devoured the initial trilogy of Olive Farm books I have loved every minute of travelling with Carol through Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Sicily and mainland Italy. I am fascinated by the historical and political issues that she gently exposes to us to on the journey. I am in awe of the way she travels at 'ground level' staying in basic local accommodation, introducing us to scenes and experiences that would certainly be beyond my sphere of travel. I just can't bear to finish this book though! ........Well not until I have first stashed away my next wonderful read from Carol!
on 19 December 2010
I missed this book when it was first published and only discovered it when it's sequel Return to the Olive Farm appeared. I am a great fan of Carol Drinkwater and have read and enjoyed all her other books in this series. She writes well and her books are interesting and easy to read. This volume is no exception. I admire her courage in travelling alone in dangerous places and coping with tricky situations.
She presents a fascinating account of travelling off the beaten track in Spain, North Africa and Italy. Perhaps the 'olive' theme is nearing exhaustion!
on 18 January 2012
Ms Drinkwater holds the reader spell-bound as she recounts one half of her awesome quest to discover the origins of the not-so-humble Olive tree! Carol writes with much passion, compassion & enormous skill! She is also now a friend via social networking & I am so lucky to be able to follow more of her amazing life through this avenue.
I discovered her Olive series at around the same time as I discovered & also fell in love with Provence in Southern France. Sadly, holidays are once a year, but with Carol's Olive series, I can pick up one of her books & be back 'home', even on a windy, cold, wet afternoon in UK....The Olive Tree was equally as evocative as all the others! Thank you Carol!
on 2 August 2009
The Olive Tree: A Personal Journey Through Mediterranean Olive Groves I enjoyed this book very much. I thought it was better & less long winded than her book called, The Olive Route. Best of all though was the trilogy of the Olive farm. I look forward to the new book that comes out next year.