Customer reviews

Mr Darcy's Diary
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2015
Huh... A follow-up to Pride and Prejudice which is well worth reading! Well written, follows Miss Austen's plot and characterisation (rarely the case), uses timely language. I've just bought a copy for my kindle, so that I can take it travelling, and two copies for presents!
on 28 October 2014
brilliant!
on 10 November 2007
An enjoyable read with plausable thoughts from Mr D. All the must have bits are in there, and the book has the same restrained style as P&P.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2007
I am not an easy person to please, particularly when it comes to attempts by modern authors to write as Jane wrote ... but Maya Slater has almost done the almost impossible and this is actually rather a good read. I haven't given it 5* because it wasn't written by Jane, but you'll notice it got 4*, so you can tell I was impressed.
In this 'diary', Mr Darcy gets to tell you what he was thinking, feeling and doing during the action of 'Pride and Prejudice'. While Lizzy and Jane were angsting over him and Mr Bingley in seclusion at Netherfield, Mr Darcy's horizons were rather broader and his occupations somewhat different to theirs. However, this is entirely in keeping with a gentleman of the C18 as I understand it, and the way he occupies his time in between his meetings with Lizzy are entirely believable.
This Mr Darcy (or 'Fitz' as his intimates call him) is more like Matthew McFadyen than Colin Firth, in my opinion. Reading this diary made me want to watch the Keira Knightley version of 'P&P' rather than the BBC one again.
So, if you want a pretty convincing explanation of why Mr D was so stiff and pompous at the Netherfield Ball and all the reasons why he hates Mr Wickham so much - read this 'Diary'; it will enlighten, amuse and grip you to the end.
Unlike Jane, Maya leaves the story just before the wedding, so we have Mr D's trembling anticipation of the forthcoming nuptials, but nothing after they are married. I thought that was quite restrained of Maya considering the boddice ripping rubbish that goes on in many other Austen 'sequels'.
In conclusion - this would make a pleasant addition to your reading of 'Pride and Prejudice' and I would recommend it for all those who want more from the novel - this will give you more.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2007
I was initially very suspicious of this, having been disappointed by Jane Austen 'sequals' before but I have to say that MR DARCY'S DIARY is fab. For anyone who enjoyed PRIDE AND PREDJUDICE, I would say that this book is a great way to continue the magic.
on 21 November 2008
I was very surprised by this book as the cover made me have low expectation of the content. However, the author really delivered on many counts. The details of language, custom, manner are all excellently observed. Then there is the plot, which pretty much is a mirror image of the Austen classic, where we are told all the we ever wanted to know about Mr Darcy, his family, his thoughts and generally what went on in his head. Some of it initially surprising, but considering customs of the day, more than likely! Then there is the wonderful, ironic and witty observation on society and men in general. and then finally, the romance - relived. Warmly recommended.
on 1 December 2007
This did not feel like a journal or diary. Loved many of the ways she gave Darcy a back ground showing his friendship with both Bingley and Byron. The bit I did not like was his account of what Wickham was supposed to have done to his sister. I feel that if that was the case he would not have paid him off by giving him an allowance he would have killed him. I loved the insight she gave us of his love for Elizabeth, she also at first has him infatuated with her not really in love when the Hunsford proposal given but later he falls in deeply in love with her. All in all it is a good read but I felt it could have gone on that little bit longer.
on 30 September 2011
These are the wrong reviews! These reviews are for Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange. Mr Darcy's Diary by Maya Slater is the same book as The Private Diary of Mr Darcy, which has only 2 reviews at present. I didn't enjoy this book at all. It spoiled my image of Mr Darcy and I don't want to read about maid's being raped. On the other hand, Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange I loved. Note also that when you 'look inside' Amanda Grange's book, it also shows the wrong book i.e. this one! What a mix up!
on 27 September 2013
It was with trepidation that I opened this book - I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen and her writing is so good that other authors cannot usually compare. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Mr Darcy's Diary.
Although you know from the outset what is going to happen (if you've read Pride and Prejudice), it doesn't matter and was interesting to read it again from the smouldering Mr Darcy's point of view. The characters were not exactly as I imagined them, but Maya Slater seems to have captured life in the Regency period - I liked the addition of Lord Byron - and all-in-all it was an enjoyable and easy read.
on 14 June 2009
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE MAYA SLATER "MR DARCY'S DIARY". For some reason, it has also appeared under the Amanda Grange version.

I reserved a copy of this book from the library after seeing a copy in the Lyme Park gift shop and watching the most recent film version of "Pride and Prejudice" again.

I'm half way through the book and it is gripping in its own way and the author has done well to fit events to coincide with the original plot. However, I am somewhat disappointed with the way some of the characters have been altered and none of them in a good way.

Mr Darcy for example comes across as being quite lecherous what with his casual relationship with a maid servant and frequenting of "house of fornication" in this book. This is not the same proud and moral Darcy that we are presented with in Austen's novel.

It also says on the back, that you will discover what really happened between his sister and Wickham which I regret reading about now as it has really tainted the original. Wickham is indeed a cad as we know but in this book,he is a lot more sinister.

I will not go into any more details about what happens in this book for those determined to read it as a light novel in its own right but I will warn anyone who is looking for a good sequel to P&P to avoid this one.