Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2013
I can't remember how I found the TV show Justified. I'm guessing Deadwood had a hand in it. Well, three series in and I'm hooked. So why Raylan came out last year I knew I had to check it out. It was brilliant. Sure, it played with time lines and characters differently but I didn't care. Elmore can do as he pleases, he created this guy. Soon after I knew I had to read Pronto and, while it took a little longer to grab me, I was still hooked by it. For me Riding the Rap is the weakest of the three but weak is a little harsh really. It's a sense of scale. While it doesn't race or grab you like the book behind it or the book ahead of it, it still works. The plot is just as tangled and the characters are just as realised and the style is just as cool. It's just missing a certain something for me. Still, if you're a fan of either Givens or Leonard, I suggest you check this out.
on 4 February 2000
Leonard revisits his three main characters from "Pronto" twelve months down the line. A change of pace from its predecessor - a traditional Leonard Stateside setting and more a detective tale than a chase, but just as enjoyable. New characters Bobby Deo & co are interesting additions to Elmore's growing cast of social misfits, and, in the right hands, this would make another great movie for the fans of "Get Shorty" and "Jackie Brown". Four stars if you read it on its own; five if you've enjoyed "Pronto" first.
on 16 June 2012
Riding the rap is the latest Elmore Leonard book I have read. I have enjoyed all his easy flowing writing,this one is as good,if not better than those I have read up to now.I will continue reading these offerings from Elmore,until I have read them all!
Amazon sent this and all the other books I have purchased from them,within 24 hours!! anyone else beat that? I doubt it!
on 27 February 2013
Elmore Leonard's characters walk off the page, you know what they look like, you know how they move, what they think.
Raylan and Harry Arno are back stirring up the chancers and killers. Dialogue to die for ... are you cool?
on 25 August 1999
Elmore Leonard is one of Quentin Tarantino's favourite authors and it's easy to see why. Cool, off-centre characters, slick, minimalist dialogue and casual, off-the-cuff violence is usually what Leonard's world is all about, and 'Riding The Rap' is no exception.
Set within the sleazy underbelly of South Florida's underworld, the book is populated by small-time lowlifes, lawmen who won't take no for an answer and a psychotic gardener (no, really)! As is the case with most Leonard novels, the plot is almost secondary with style definitely being preferred over content. This is not a deficiency in the author's writing ability, more a conscious decision to let the characters, dialogue and humour breath freely without the confines of a heavy, convoluted plot. This is all about fun it most certainly is at that. Add a dash of contempary pop-culture references and you have a book that is so cool it should be wearing shades, and which belies the author's 75 years.
Fans of Tarantino and the film 'Get Shorty' will at once feel at home within the confines of 'Riding The Rap'. As contemporary crime fiction goes, this is as slick as they come.
on 19 June 2012
Marvellous chap! Since whacking two cattle rustlers in his early teens and, catching the selector's eye, so to speak, in the us marshal's service, those of us who are not ruthless gun men from rural hillbilly mining communities get a feast of cool macho escapism from another installment of Elmore Leonard's machine gun dialogue. If you get Leonard, you will love it, if you don't, go elsewhere.
on 17 July 2014
bought this because I love 'Justified' based on the Raylan Givens character. Enjoyed the book although Elmore Leonard had a particular style of writing that is different, but still enjoyable once you get into it
on 5 December 2013
Another brilliant Elmore Leonard book. I have worked my way through most of his catalogue of titles and always find myself gripped and entertained.

This will appeal to fans of writers such as Walter Mosley, Carl Hiaasen and Leonard Lynch.

Great dialogue and suspense! Recommended!
on 28 September 2013
I like the style and the prose. A good read. This will encourage me to read more of his books
This isn't one of Elmore Leonard's best books by a long shot. Somehow the plot is in slow-mo and the characters just aren't that interesting or compelling. Poor Raylan Givens, the star of several books and a very successful TV series, is reduced to being an almost inactive bystander.

The storyline, in a nutshell, involves the kidnapping of Raylan's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. This is Harry Arno, a crooked bookmaker (introduced in "Pronto"), who is reduced to blithering victim here. His tormentors are three idiots--one dumber than the next--who are clueless as to how to conclude the ransom caper and accordingly become increasingly violent and impotent. Raylan, resourceful man of action, dithers with ambivalence through all of this. He isn't clear about how his relationship with his current girlfriend is going; his new acquaintance with a pretty fortune-teller is undefined; and he can't quite figure out how to rescue the kidnapped Harry Arno.

I'm a huge fan of Elmore Leonard, but I would advise anyone reading through his vast production of generally great novels, to skip this one.