Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 June 2008
I think all the criticisms people have about this book can be split into three parts:

1) "But... she's not a hooker anymore!!!"
So? Belle remains the same warm, witty woman she was when we last saw her, only now she's in a different line of work. There's still sexual encounters aplenty, plus the "Dear Belle" sections where she gives invaluable (and hiarious) life advice.

2) "Ugh, how could she even THINK about going back to The Boy???"
Um, because she loves him? This is a real person writing this book remember, and real people do this kind of thing. What should she do, break up with him to make readers happy?

3) "It ends in a stupid place, nothing happens, blah blah blah..."
If I could just explain the concept of Real Time: events don't start on the first day of the new diary and then round themselves off to a neat conclusion one year later. This happens to Bridget Jones because she's not real, and doesn't have to live in Real Time.

As for my humble opinion, I thought we saw less of Belle-the-whore and more of Belle-the-girl, which can only be a good thing. I'd say I like her even more in this book- she's not a sexual temptress 24/7, she gets insecure just like the rest of us. There's no shortage of sex scenes (the fact that they're personal rather than professional just makes them even better) and more than a couple of laugh-out-loud moments. A brilliant book and I hope she'll write a third.
on 15 June 2012
I really enjoyed the first book and found the author intelligent, witty and fairly self-possessed...the second book couldn't be more different! You realise what a desperate needy person she is and how her really low self esteem has left her open to abuse. I don't think I could re-read the first one now without seeing it as the tragic story of being taken advantage of rather than the Amusing ramblings of a "career girl".
My main frustration with the book was her desperate need to be liked, at all costs...but her hatred of women who from the outside seem to be in more control than she is. I was looking forward to reading this book, but I wouldn't recommend it as it will completely ruin the first one for you.
on 7 September 2010
I bought this book after I read the first one as I felt it was only right to read the second. I have to admit I am hugely disappointed, it isnt as good as the first one, but the first one wasnt good in the first place.

I found this one dragged alot and some events were a little unbelievable. In some parts, the quick wit Belle from the first book pops up in some areas, but then seemed to die down again. If I didnt know it, I would of thought someone else wrote this book compared to the first one. She seems like two different women. In her first book she was a call girl, who loved the money, in the second, she quits over night, gets an office job, leaves it, and flies to America. It just all seems a bit unrealistic.

I got a little bored of hearing about "The Boy", and the things he was doing to her. Whether it was love or not, I know if I found my boyfriend, searching through my things, or seeing other women, I would of done alot more than ignore it. For a woman who seems so confident, and even more so because she is a call girl, does she really think that little of herself to be walked over, or is this just made up and dragged out, because she had nothing else to write about, and it just made more of a story?

We dont hear as much about the A's in this one, and they pretty much seem to disappear once she goes on a very long holiday to see her cousin in America. Spends more time ringing "The Boy" and never seemed to ring any of the A's or N, I was shocked, considering these are her "best friends" and always been there for her.

The way she talks about some scenes, I find it hard to believe. I have male friends and I am not easily embarassed or shocked when they describe what they want to do to a woman in the most explicit ways possible. But hearing "Belle" say it, made me feel like maybe a man wrote these parts? Even down to how she met people in one scene when she goes into a club and picks up a woman and instantly goes home with her, showers and takes her to bed. I felt this is probably more of a man's fantasy than reality. Hand on heart, how many of us, know people who can pick up men or women as easily, quickly, and daily as Belle? Seems too good to be true.
on 29 May 2007
I loved the first book so much, I even left a review on here giving it top marks!

So I was very eager to read "The further adventures..."

Well what can I say but it was a bit disappointing and in parts down right irritating!

As with the first book there was the obvious wit and intelligence of the author, which on several accasions made me laugh out loud and I also found the holiday to cousin J's interesting. But as for the "relationship" with the boy well that really just spoiled the book! Are we meant to belive that this attractive woman who seems full of confidence, wit and intelligence would really put up with a stupid, unfaithfull, obtuse idiot because he's good in bed (her words not mine)?

Well i'm sorry i don't buy it and that is essentially what is wrong with this book!

So yes it is as well written as the first book, also the sharp observations and the intelligent wit are still there, not to mention through out the book some sexual agony aunt dilemas... very funny!

But and trust me it's a huge BUT, her relationship with the boy will really p#@* you off!!
on 12 December 2010
I loved the first book and so was so excited to recieve the second.
But it was SOOOOO BORING!
How can it be called diary of a call girl when she quits after the first ten pages?!?!?!?
She goes on holiday, moping after a boy and does nothing exciting - I quit reading after forcing myself to keep going, after reading 3/4 desperately hoping for it to get better.

DO NOT BUY! x
on 16 April 2007
I should say I haven't read the first book, but picked this up out of curiosity. It was very cheap, and I can see why. It's occasionally amusing, but Belle's ramblings about her love life get very tedious after 200+ pages.
on 30 August 2013
Her professional life was ordered
but her private life was a disaster
This is assuming a high level of truth
Her origins were changed so as to hide her identity (whic worked for 6 years)
She is not yorkshire jewsih from Leed but italian jewish from Florida
on 29 January 2012
having read and loved her first book and also having watched the televison series, i could not wait to get my hands on this. what a let down it was. not in the same vein as the first book. it also (sorry to spoil it) has no proper conclusion.
on 31 July 2013
What a complete let down!
I had really enjoyed the first book and couldn't wait to start this one but what a let down.
The book has absolutely no point.. no beginning, no end and no content.
It just rambles on and on, in a diary style for 322 pages and succeeds in saying nothing that makes sense and achieving nothing.
What happened to the sassy, confident Belle? Where is she gone? This one has no depth, can't really figure out what it is that she does in her 'normal' job, didn't really get the dynamics of her relationship with the Boy and could not stand the whole Jamaica trip.

I hate abandoning a book halfway, so i really had to force myself to finish this one. I was tempted to throw it in the recycling bin once or twice.
Thank God it is finished now so I can send it off to the local charity store.. maybe I should really recycle it and save someone else from wasting their time.
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2007
The title of this book is really misleading, because Belle is only a call girl for the first 50 pages of the book and then she `goes straight'. Unfortunately she also turns into a whining dull Bridget Jones type in the process as she obsesses about her boyfriend seeing other people behind her back.

Save yourself the bother. If you were thinking of buying this for titillation then save yourself the bother, there is hardly any sex in it, and she really isn't interesting enough as a character / protagonist to carry a whole book of moaning.

Woeful.