on 9 March 2015
Finished this book but didn't really enjoy it, found the main character somewhat irritating and although there may be books which just take a snapshot of life rather than having a definite plot or interesting tale to tell, I didn't think that this was one of them.
on 5 December 2017
This book is spot on!
on 3 October 2015
This book is so funny, I laughed out aloud. Written with skill and genuine affection. Although the situations were outrageous they seemed so real life. I could certainly identify with the the couple's family life. A must to read.
on 13 July 2015
So so. Fairly entertaining, but don't grip me. Unbelievably far fetched in places.
on 9 February 2016
Pretty good.

I like it, I'd recommend it, but only at a cheap price.

Some of his online articles are funnier, but then, they don't have a plot / story.
on 16 June 2003
If you've come across Mil Millington's web-site that chronicles the strangeness of his real girlfriend (Margret) then you will already be familiar with the book's witty style. Ursula, the girlfriend in the book, does bare an uncanny resemblance to Margret.
This book had me sniggering from the first page with its rich, sarcastic humour. There's plenty of observations on life here and many of them hit home for me.
If you are looking for some really funny reading - this book is a must.
6 people found this helpful
on 4 March 2005
I've read Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About at least six times. Okay, eight.
It still has me howling with laughter. All readers will identify with the character's problems: Having a job. House. Children. Wife who likes to get things done. In other words, a life.
I think it's a work of brilliance, and I am a feminist, for god's sake. Pel's always trying to get out of work, but I love him still and I think his fictional wife is the best comic creation since, oh, Pooter. Life is tough for everyone, men included, and Pel has the triads problem, as well as the cemetery debacle, the colleagues from hell, and his thing isn't very big, he suspects.
Buy it. I promise you that you will laugh.
5 people found this helpful
on 15 October 2017
I failed to listen to the good advice given by other one star reviews. I was taken in by the first few free "look inside" pages which didnt seem too bad. Sadly things didnt work out like that. Frankly I found this book unreadable. Very far from funny and rather unpleasant. I will listen in future to those one star critics!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 January 2009
This book deserves five stars because its quite simply hilarious. I haven't laughed so much reading a book for ages, and a truly funny book is a rare find. While the title refers of course to the bickering between Pel and his German wife Ursula, (everyone in a relationship argues constantly, insists Pel, its normal) the University setting and ludicrous situations the academics find themselves in reminded me of Tom Sharpe's Wilt books. There is rarely a page without something like: "There's nothing so heartbreaking as a look of misery on a man with a moustache - as if his face hasn't got enough troubles." and... "Brian had a head of rich, auburn hair. It was quite clearly someone else's hair..."

This book is so full of visual gags its crying out to be made into a film - perhaps it already is being, and that could explain the abruptness of the ending, totally unresolved as everything is. Does Part Two await?
3 people found this helpful
on 28 September 2002
You may have read Mil Millington's column in the Weekend magazine of Saturday's Guardian, or his original list of things he and his girlfriend argue about on his website. If so, or if not, this book will make you laugh. So what if he has taken the 'write what you know' adage to its extreme? Funny is funny however you look at it - and this is very, very funny. My girlfriend brought home the book, read it first and then suggested I read it. The last book we both read was a road atlas, via torchlight, on a Pembrokeshire country lane. That we both thought Things... was a great read is testament to its characters and, best of all, the dialogue of the two leads. If you don't recognise anything of your own relationship in the superbly funny disputes, then you must be Posh or Becks. Ultimately, though, this is about two people very much in love dealing with everyday stuff. Everyday stuff that made me, and my girlfriend, laugh more than anything we've read this year. It misses out on five stars only because it couldn't help us decide who cleans the bathroom next. I definitely did it last time...
15 people found this helpful