on 17 November 2017
Just what I needed and everything i would have expected from one of Jostein Gaarder's books, always moving and thought provoking.
on 28 December 2015
A light reading. Not so fond of the beginning but very nice to read towards the end. I would recommend it as a lazy Sunday reading.
It also reminded me of Le Petit Prince- not that the Little Prince is a light reading.
on 6 February 2007
An amazing love story told in a totally original style. Here a father writes a letter to his son because he knows he is soon going to die. His son receives and reads the letter when he is 15 and as he reads it, he adds his own tale.

This book really made me think about the beauty of true love, about life, death and the mysteries of the universe. Whether, if we had the choice, would we choose to be born at all, knowing that one day we would have to leave everyone and everything that we love. A terrific thought provoking book.
on 4 November 2011
A father, who is dying of cancer, writes a letter to his 4-year-old son, Georg. Actually he writes to the "older Georg", the boy who he'll never meet. After 11 years, Georg is handed a big envelope from his grandmother. That envelop holds the story of his father and a mysterious "orange girl".
This books raises questions about life, the meaning of life and death: it's bittersweet and poignant.
on 31 July 2005
This is another of those books that i've read after buying it on a whim. I was drawn to it by the brightly coloured cover and intriguing title. Having since read it I have decided buying books on a whim is often a good idea. The story told by a fifteen year old boy, Georg, is also part told by his father. The strange and curious thing about this is his father died when he was four. Georg's father prior to his death wrote a letter for Georg to read when he was older. Now the letter has been discovered and Georg is reading it to us. The magic of this story is that it is the simplest of tales, indeed there are several stories and journeys within the tale itself and we are invited to listen in and learn alongside Georg as he grows to understand his father, and learn the puzzling identity of the Orange Girl.
This book is beautifully written, never failing to capture the imagination and easily pulling you into a story that warms the heart and provokes the mind.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 December 2004
Having read all of Gaarder's novels, what struck me about his latest offering is how it has similarities to his debut novel, SOPHIE'S WORLD. As with SOPHIE'S WORLD, the story revolves around the written word - the protagonist of THE ORANGE GIRL, a fifteen year old called Georg - is handed a letter from his father who died while Georg was still only a young child. This letter - found behind the fabric of a buggy by Georg's grandmother - takes on the role of a letter "from beyond the grave", allowing Georg to come to know his father in a way he would otherwise never have been able to achieve. The purpose of his father's letter to tell the story of the Orange girl to Georg; a mysterious and beautiful young lady his father encountered while still a student. In time, Georg learns the identity of the Orange girl, and why his father may have believed the story to be so important.
While i did enjoy this novel, I am afraid to say it didn't quite live up to my huge expectations of it. Unlike SOPHIE'S WORLD, THE ORANGE GIRL does not manage to develop the philosophical aspect of the story as well as Gaarder is able to do. Although the story is enjoyable, there is an absence of a certain kind of magic that a lot of his other works possess. In a simplistic explanation, the story is not as mysterious as it promises to be.
Having said all of that, Gaarder remains one of my favourite authors (second behind Paulo Coelho), as he creates stories for escapism and stories which make you stop reading to think about the ideas behind the words.
Recommended.
on 2 January 2006
I've just finished reading The Orange Girl and feel impressed enough to write this review (my first ever!). It was given to me as a present on Christmas day and although I have read most of Jostein Gaarder's book's I didn't know this one existed until I unwrapped it. This also happened eight or so years ago when I was given the Solitare Mystery as a Christmas present.
If you haven't read one of this author's books, I implore you to do so. The stories and characters stay with you for days, weeks, years even after the final page is finished. If you are already a fan, then I am preaching to the converted already.
I only recently finished The Ringmaster's Daughter and wasn't keen on picking up another book unless it could transport me into the story, as only the best of Gaarder stories can. I tried a couple of novels but ended up leaving them unread, so was very happy that I could spend a few days over the Christmas break in a Gaarder-created story.
I won't dwell on the plot details of this book as other more experinced writers have probably touched on this already. I will however blow the trumpet for the author and say that any reader who enjoys being totally lost within a novel should read this novel and others by the author to see what the converted are on about. The worlds he creates are like the worlds we inhabit but with the all the humdrum and monotomy removed, leaving just the magic and wonder remaining
I've heard the word fairytale used many times and that's what the author's best works are. All the enchantent from those fairytales of old, but not stories of forests and fairies, etc. but contemporary ones in a world that appears just like this one. The author seems to be saying that the magic is here and eveywhere you just need to look for it. It's in the vastness and in the detail.
So if you want to be enchanted by a modern fairytale, by a thoughtful yet entertaining writer look no furter than Jostein Gaarder and press the "buy now" button.
on 14 May 2013
A lovely story, its only fault being too short. I would like to have lived with the characters longer. Gaarder has the ability to put his philosophical thought in the frame of the real world.
on 2 March 2016
By far, the best book I've ever read! I got it as a gift and bought it myself for two of my friends. I've read other books for Jostein Gaarder (Sophie's World, The Christmas Mystery, The Solitaire Mystery) and this one is definitely a winner! It keeps you hooked right until the very end. You might close the book with tears in your eyes but an overwhelming feeling of contentment. This book should be read by all people who believe that our lives are a series of magical events.
on 2 May 2012
Once again I really enjoyed Jostein Gaarder's writing. He leads us a merry dance and I found it very moving.
Who was the Ornage Girl and where is she now ? The boy's memory of specific things is nudged and it helps him find out a bit more about himself too - a sort of coming of age idea. At the end one feels he can now go out and start his own life.