on 8 November 2014
The work remains a classic for anyone studying primatology or who simply wants to read a very chatty account of the first study ever, of gorilla life. She tends to anthropomorphize the apes a bit, but it was clear she loved them deeply and was the first to give her entire attention to over almost two decades. One should start with this book, as the primer, and then read Farley Mowat's biographery "The Woman in the Midst" to learn of the difficult circumstances in which this intense and complicated woman worked, and of the enemies she made, one of which finally murdered her.
on 26 February 2014
Never read anything quite like this - I'm normally averse to 'memoir-style' books, but I found this not only readable and interesting, but actively moving. Came away with a distinct sense of who Fossey was, and what she worked for. Highly recommended.
on 18 October 2011
I read this book whilst in Uganda on my way to go see the very same gorilla families. Made the experience that bit more special to have the back story. Tragic that she was eventually murdered for her work (not in the book).
on 26 January 2016
An absolute must read - the descriptions of the mountain habitat are incredible and insight into gorilla behaviour enriching. Fossey was utterly dedicated to this cause despite facing opposition and immense difficulties.
on 21 May 2014
I love the great apes and this book really opens up their private and wonderful world in which they live and fight to survive and of course their supporter Dian Fossey who shared it with them until her death.
on 10 January 2016
Amazing book. Just to set the record straight in the description - Dian studied the mountain gorillas for 18 years. My husband and I were short term volunteers at her research center.
on 17 February 2014
Her writing is not riveting, but the story is so good that I can forgive her for that. I always wanted to know what happend next.
on 22 August 2011
This was a most interesting read, somewhat fictional or perhaps I should say the author had a selective memory. Interesting photographs. I would recommend you try Schaller's books as well. He studied Gorillas earlier than Fossey and gives a lot of credit to others.
on 2 February 2011
I was looking forward to reading this having been to Rwanda to see the gorillas. I found the book a little too technical with not enough insight into the areas problems. Maybe I was just expecting too much and I HATE to say it... but I preferred the film (eurgh). Still, what she did to help protect the animals deserves 5*
on 9 March 2013
I have not read this book yet but if it is as interesting as the DVD I bought about Dian's life with the gorillas, I will be pleased.